Chicks are eating Paper Towel bedding. What to switch to?

DesertGrrl

Songster
Sep 24, 2020
Arizona
I noticed them eating the paper towels that I have used as their bedding and need to switch to another type of bedding.
Which should I switch to?

I lay a layer of news paper, junk mail or scrap office paper down and sprinkle with wood chips so they don't slip. When it get's too soiled I toss more wood chips on and at the end of the week I roll up the news paper and dirty chips to discard and start all over again with fresh news paper.
It's a good way to recycle junk mail. Ha,ha!
I'll try that! Thanks

I lay a layer of news paper, junk mail or scrap office paper down and sprinkle with wood chips so they don't slip. When it get's too soiled I toss more wood chips on and at the end of the week I roll up the news paper and dirty chips to discard and start all over again with fresh news paper.
It's a good way to recycle junk mail. Ha,ha!
I wouldn't use newspaper-
Paper towels should be changed frequently. Newspaper should never be used as flooring; it is not absorbent, which can expose the chicks to conditions ripe for disease, and newspaper is very slippery, which can cause spraddle leg. The most common bedding for chicks is pine shavings.

Use pine shavings. Never use cedar, I am pretty sure that is a no brainer, but pine shavings are good, nice and fluffy, and soft!

I wouldn't use newspaper-
Paper towels should be changed frequently. Newspaper should never be used as flooring; it is not absorbent, which can expose the chicks to conditions ripe for disease, and newspaper is very slippery, which can cause spraddle leg. The most common bedding for chicks is pine shavings.

Use pine shavings. Never use cedar, I am pretty sure that is a no brainer, but pine shavings are good, nice and fluffy, and soft!

Oh thank you. I will go buy some today!

I’m using paper towels as well and they haven’t eaten it yet...but I’ve made sure that it’s laid completely flat w/ no exposed corners or spots sticking up. However, I move them into a temporary rubbermaid box when I’m cleaning their main brooder, and the paper towels I have in that box are bunched up and uneven. I noticed they immediately started picking the corners and raised spots. Just a thought? But hey, I’m BRAND new to this, so definitely listen to everyone else before me. Good luck!

I’m using paper towels as well and they haven’t eaten it yet...but I’ve made sure that it’s laid completely flat w/ no exposed corners or spots sticking up. However, I move them into a temporary rubbermaid box when I’m cleaning their main brooder, and the paper towels I have in that box are bunched up and uneven. I noticed they immediately started picking the corners and raised spots. Just a thought? But hey, I’m BRAND new to this, so definitely listen to everyone else before me. Good luck!
You may want to switch to pine shaving too, unless you are changing the paper towel super often. This is why-
You sound like you are takin good care of them though!

Back
Top Bottom