Chicks are getting feathers... but I am concerned

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Titus2Woman, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Titus2Woman

Titus2Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I have been doing a lot of stuff in the background and not posting much. I built my coop (although the run has to be finished) and my chicks are here! I can't believe that they are so big already (they will be 2 weeks old tomorrow!!) I have 8 little fuzz balls in the brooder. 3 of them are golden buffs (or golden stars... I hear they are several different names) -- the sex linked chicks. When I see pictures of these little ones in the catalogs etc they have deep rust or red-ish feathers. Mine have feathers that are coming in off-white or yellow. When I look at pictures that is what the roos look like when grown. My "domestic" birds I know don't change colors until they molt. So, can I assume that the pictures I have seen of adult golden buff hens are post molt? Or are chickens different than my other birds in that their feathers will change colors without a molt? OR do I have 3 roos? I can't believe the third... these are sex linked birds but I am confused at what I am seeing so I want to know what other's have experienced.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There can be a wide range of coloration in the sex linked birds. Chances are that you have pullets - a picture might help with a gender guess.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Also chicks go through two full molts (called Juvenile molts) before they get their adult feathers. They simply outgrow them and need to replace them.

There are all kinds of different breeds used to make sex links. Not all feather out exactly the same. Photos might help people to better guess, but what will actually tell the tale is patience.

4. Titus2Woman

Sep 7, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pictures have the golden buffs in them... :D

5. Titus2Woman

Sep 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I did not know they went through juvenile molts! Good information! I am so glad there is this forum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by