1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks are hatched. what happens now???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Oz Chook, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Oz Chook

Oz Chook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    Western Australia
    Out of 6 eggs that I put under my 2 broody hens 4 have hatched so far.

One chick died, it seemed that one of the mums has pecked at the chicks eyes, I tried to save it but it was too far gone [​IMG] also have another has been pecked only a little. I've moved that chick inside with the 'good' mum and left the other 2 outside with the pecker, she seems happy with those 2. I'm not sure why she did it, any suggestions would be gladly appreciated as this is my first time hatching.....

Also, please don't laugh, but I'm not sure what happens now...

The mum's don't leave the chicks at all, not even to poop that I've seen as I had to clean the box. I've ended up putting food and water in the nesting box and they were ravenous!!

How long do they stay so close and what is the next stage I can expect? Thanks in advance, I feel such a dope!!!

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I'm pretty sure the mom will start getting out more on her own, but I've never hatched eggs under a broody so I don't know.
    It sounds like you're doing a great job so far! Is it cold where you are?
    [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The world of chickens is a very cold and cruel place to us outsiders. If the hens detected anything in the least wrong with the chick she will cull it herself. Chickens are preprogramed to protect the wellness of the flock and to keep it strong. Weakness and illness puts the entire flock at risk. Sad but true.

Also - some hens are better mothers than others.

Giant poops in the nest - broodys don't poop like they normally would so when they have to go it is usually a giant gross broody poop that been held a very long time. Just continue to check and keep her nest clean.

It is usually a couple days before they venture out of the nest with the babies.

It is very important to keep food and water very close by where the hen and the chicks can eat and drink freely.

The hen will teach the chicks everything they need to know. She will keep them warm and safe if you allow her to do her job without interfering too much.

Over the next 6 weeks (give or take) she will teach them and guide them. One day during this time her mothering instinct will turn off. She will peck and push the chicks away from her and they will soon be just some other chickens in the flock. She won't be their mother all their life.

Congrats on the broody hatch. [​IMG]

4. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I take my Broody outside for a few seconds, and she will go poop within a few seconds of being set on the ground. Then we go back to the babies. Our babies are 3 weeks old and I still do this. This keeps their area clean.

Who'd have thought you could train a chicken to poop! lol!

5. Oz Chook

Oz Chook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    Western Australia
    Thanks, don't know where I'd be without BYC! At least it's all normal [​IMG] I was wondering why they would leave the eggs to go poop and sand bath etc but not the babies. Initially I put food bowls not even a metre away and even that was too far for them! Perhaps they really aren't so different to us and are enjoying breakfast in bed [​IMG]

It's starting to nice and warm here now, 14 (I think maybe that's about 55 in your language!!) at night and today was a beautiful 27 (80?).

Also, there are still 2 eggs left, they were due on the 17th and they started hatching right on time (PLUS it was my birthday, awsome!! [​IMG] [​IMG] ) so now 4 days over. Do I leave them indefinately, or will the Mums get rid of them if they are no goers? On the odd occasion they have been left out but then they pull them back and tuck them under.

This is all just so exciting, I've been doing the happy dance for days! [​IMG]

Unfortunately I promised the babies to my best friend, and since there are only 3 so far, I can't keep even 1 [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Those two eggs might be the reason she isn't leaving the nest. Give her another couple days and see what happens. If they don't hatch then you can clean out the nest for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by