Chicks are here but not warm enough

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by photo chick, May 8, 2009.

1. photo chick

photo chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    They came home today! Here is the first picture of them in a box in the back of my car. The others are of them in their first home. I am using a little kennel with a metal swing door on the front. I have the heat lamp placed about 12 inches from the door. The thermometer is in the back and reads 85 degrees. I'm not sure why it won't get warmer. They ate the pine chips first so I covered them with paper towels. I left a trail of food to the feeder and that seemed to help them realize where it was. They are eating and drinking that I can tell but when I first come into the room they are all resting. I'm sure they have to rest at some point but I just hope they are OK since the temp is not where it needs to be. Should I worry about it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    they are so cute, I think you will be ok with 85F, mine did just fine with the same range tempratures.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Baby chicks will fall asleep at anytime, anywhere, in the craziest of positions and without any notice.

They should be fine as long as they are not laying all over one another.

4. photo chick

photo chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    Thanks, that makes me feel better. I'll just keep an eye on them. I have a remote themometer so we can keep tabs on how warm it is in their pen from the comfort of our living room. [​IMG]

5. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    The remote thermometer. Ive seen large operations where the brooder managers phone rings when e is something wrong. I guess I never thought I would see iton a small scale like this. It makes me smile the things that poultry people come up with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by