Chicks are here-Guessing game...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heathersboers, Dec 15, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Ok here they are- 8 left to hatch-heres the possibilities-no white eggs have hatched yet off the leghorn-

Golden laced wyandotte rooster cornish X pullet
    RIR Rooster gold comet pullet
    black orpington pullet
    **white leghorn**
    golden laced wyandotte pullet

do I have any purebreds? the dark one looks mostly like a golden laced wyandotte but maybe not dark enough- the tan ones have the skunk stripes also-the black one has golden on belly and wing tips.

I was so hoping for a golden laced wyandotte-thanks guys-for helping me as I learn!!!-(edited to add pullet)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Just curious, how are you expecting any purebreeds if you dont have hens and roos of the same breed ?

Its hard to say but the color which ones would be the father becuase both roos have similar coloring and will throw similar chicks but the ones from Wyandotte roo should have rose combes. But of your chicks

The two white ones with the redish faces are from the Cornish cross hens, thats what I got from that cross.

The two black ones would be from the Black Orp hens since black is dominant in most crosses and produces mostly black chicks with leakage.

The others would be from the Golden Commet, her chicks when breed to those two roos should be about half Black tailed Red Columbian like a RIR and Half White Tailed Red Columbian like the Golden Commet. Im thinkg the red one under the black one and the one in the top right will be white tailed, the bottom right red one will be black tailed for sure, and the other two will probably be black tailed too.

Again, look at the combes to find out which was the daddy, the ones from the Wyandotte should have rose combes.

Oh and if you do hatch any from the white leghorns they should be about the same color as the cornish cross ones, just smaller.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    None of your birds can be purebreds. All of your roosters are different breeds from the hens.

The only way you can get a purebred is to have a rooster and hen of the same breed/color. (The only exception to which is blue/black/splash - still must be same breed).

However, you have a bunch of very cute little chickydees. Congrats!

4. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Shoot! I didnt even miss it! One of the hens is a golden laced wyandotte also- SORRY!! I was hoping for at least one-arent they black but marked like the dark one??

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:The black colored one on the left may possibly be a GLW then, can you get a better pic of it ? But none of the others are pure .

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Sorry, I don't see any that might be pure. Here is a pic of my roo when he was a few days old.
    [​IMG]

7. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    My darkest brown one looks like that in the first pic sort of. It has some light markings on the head- here is the black one
    [​IMG]

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    No. A GLW will look just like the chick in the above pic, same color and all.

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Nope No pure GLW Sorry

10. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Dang it! I have about 7 more to hatch now- maybe???? thanks anyway guys and gals!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by