Chicks are here..Now what!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PhlyinPheBee, Apr 20, 2009.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Ok. So far 2 chicks have hatched under my hen. [​IMG] :jumpyOne more to go. [​IMG] So question is do I put feed in there now or do I wait. The only thing that the hen will eat is scratch so I took that out so a chick cannot get in it. I know that they can go 2-3 days without food. Will it hurt them to if they eat sooner???? [​IMG]

2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    You really should have read up on this stuff before getting chicks. Go ahead and put some food and water in with them. Hope you have the correct feed/water containers. Sprinkle some food on the floor of your brooder as well.

3. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I do have chick feeders and water bottles. I also have chick food of 24%, 20% and 18%. I just did not know if it was ok for them to eat on their first day of life. The chicks that I have bought in the past were all 3 days or older. I have never hatched any and it will be a VERY long it if I ever do this again!!!

I had a broody hen and a BYCer suggested getting her some eggs to hatch. So I did!

4. gimme sum eggs

gimme sum eggs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    South Branch, MI
    The hatchery we got ours from said they live off their yolks for the first 2 days of life. Apparently they ingest whats left of the yolk before they start to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by