Chicks Are Here! PICTURES - Dial-up Friendly!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick_a_dee, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Today we got to pick up our chicks from the Co-op, and they all arrived alive, peeping away... They're now all in the brooder gobbling up all the feed that I tossed on their floor, soon enough one realized HOLY MOLEY THERES A WHOLE BOWL OF IT, and they were all quickly flailing to try to get to the bowls/feeders LOL. They remind me just of puppies though, poop machines... and they peep and squawk and make a good deal of racket like our puppies that are in the Laundry Room (Chicks are in the Office... we're overrun!), I assume this is normal as puppies are like this too, their temp is fine, they have food, and water, so yeah It's all good.

So, Some photos! Also don't forget to check out my fantabulous brooder on the brooder page... oh how shameless of me!

Ps, these are dial-up friendly for those of us country folk who can't get High-speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They all seem rather happy with their living arrangements... lots of room for the 15 to roam in our 4x4 brooder.

Oh and, last night I got home and checked on my potted veggies, and noticed that my carrots were ready to pull, so a small bounty from last night just testing out my baby carrots and these are the few I planted this year...they look great, and they taste even better... All without fertilizer, or pesticides!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    They are sooo cute!
    I'm jealous of your carrots too! I planted mine in April and they are still barely little nubs!

3. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looking good! [​IMG]
    I have a question....how long were your carrots in the ground? This is my first year planting carrots, and I was just wondering how long until harvest? I've been digging back the soil a bit to check their size, but it's so hard to tell if they're ready.
    Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

4. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:I can't quite remember when I planted them... I'm going to guess I planted First of May, and mine were planter Baby Carrots, I pulled them when I saw them kind of poking out of the soil.

5. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I'm sure you all have the answer.... The chicks are all sitting outside the heat light in the corner close together, they don't seem cold, and the heat lamp is 80-95 underneath (depending on how much air you blow in the room when you walk in LOL), but they've gone from under it like they're too hot.. any ideas? Mum thought they were just too hot, we don't have A/C in our house, so my thoughts are that it's just too hot under the lamp.

Also, I have one with pastey butt, I clean her bum, and it came off, and she's clean there but she has a bit of poop on her down right beside it, which for the life of me I cannot get off... can I use a bit of mild soap with my warm water next time to get that off? Or no, just keep trying to get it off? lol.

I'm just glad I made the top for my brooder really secure, as when I was checking the ones bum, the cat JUMPED INTO THE BROODER AS I WAS STANDING RIGHT THERE, fortunately the chicks scared all hell out of him and he fled with a massive fluffy tail, so I guess that brooder roof/lid will be staying down PERM. from now on LOL.

6. ^_^

^_^ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    Atlantic Canada
    Quote:[​IMG] @ cat. Our dog hopped over the fence into the run to have a visit with the chicks. A little kick in the rear and a firm scolding cured him of that. I don't think he'd have intentionally harmed them but he quite possibly would have mauled them to death trying to play with them.

I'm a newbie, so I won't offer you any advice because at this point I know nuttin bout nuttin, lol.

(jealous of your carrots - ours will probably be at least another month!)

7. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    ^_^ :

Quote:[​IMG] @ cat. Our dog hopped over the fence into the run to have a visit with the chicks. A little kick in the rear and a firm scolding cured him of that. I don't think he'd have intentionally harmed them but he quite possibly would have mauled them to death trying to play with them.

I'm a newbie, so I won't offer you any advice because at this point I know nuttin bout nuttin, lol.

(jealous of your carrots - ours will probably be at least another month!)

LOL my cat is demented so I KNOW for sure he was sitting there thinking "OHHH MUM YOU BROUGHT ME CHICKS TO HUNT AND ATTACK!" .... I have no doubts that he'd kill them all in about 3 seconds.

Lol it was my first time growing carrots as I'm not a massive fan of them, I figured I'd grow some baby carrots in a planter box to see if I liked them, so it looks like next year they will be going into the garden... Right now I have Onions, Red and Green Cabbage (It's good with dip!), Corn, Cherry Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Cucumber, Zucchini, Pumpkin, Eggplant... it's not the first year with a patch, but I got started late because we didn't move into the farm until a bit late in the season so all my veggies are behind LOL. It doesn't help that I finally got a cultivator/tiller that's battery powered and now I have to rearrange the patch, and transplant and make real rows since I've got the new tiller. Ughhhhhhh, too much work! Plus I have to plant the Raspberry, Blueberry, and Blackberry bushes for next season. Too much work, I'm telling you because I've also got the chicks, One puppy left to sell, Fencing to do, and a house to renovate and I'm not even going to be living here for 6 months! It's my parents house!​

8. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Taking a break

Mar 3, 2008
    If the temps directly under the lamp are under 100 degrees, then it might be that the intense light from the lamp is bothering them when they try to sleep. What type and wattage of bulb are you using?

9. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:It's a red bulb, and it's 250 Watt I believe... I got a higher wattage because I was under the impression that it would throw more heat, and at the time the house was rather cool since it's a double brick house. I decided to sleep downstairs last night, and I checked on them before bed and they were all passed out sleeping around the food under the light, so perhaps it was a trial sleep LOL, just deciding where to sleep at the time.

10. ^_^

^_^ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    Atlantic Canada
    Quote:Last year we just had a few tomato plants - we'd moved home from out west and had way too much to do without having a garden to tend to. This year we planted two types of carrots (orange and purple!), onions, yellow zucchini (my mom said I was crazy to actually plant zucchini), pumpkins, a couple of kinds each of hot peppers and sweet peppers, bush beans, pole beans, irish cobblers (potatoes), four kinds of tomatoes, normal peas (the kind you shell - name escapes me, lol), snow peas, two kinds of beets, radish, spinach, a couple of different lettuce mixes, swiss chard, cucumbers, watermelon, and cantaloupe. I would have liked to do garlic, strawberries, asparagus, but they'll have to wait until next year. This is the biggest garden either of us has had, and the last time we had a decent garden my father in law was living with us and did most of the gardening. Really looking forward to trying our hand at freezing/canning a bunch of stuff from the garden. Raspberries, blueberries and blackberries - *drool*! Summer is always sooo busy - by the time winter comes it's almost nice because things slow down a bit and we get to take a break!

/offtopic (lol)

My chicks didn't often sleep under the heat lamp (I've stopped leaving it on at night because it stays fairly warm in the coop) but they weren't crowded as far away as they could get either. I figure if they were cold they'd be piled up in a big heap under the light and if they were hot they'd be piled in big heaps in the corners trying to get away from the light. So... I guess anything in between the two extremes should be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by