Chicks are here

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Irish Cluck, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Irish Cluck

Irish Cluck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Just got delivery of 15 3 day old Barred Rocks. They all seem happy and have moved into the makeshift brooder (a kiddie pool with pine shavings). Heat doesn't seem to be a problem as they are circulating to and from the heat lamp and eating just fine. The question is... why do the keep pecking at the side of the pool? It's constant, sounds like rain on a plastic corrugated roof! Is this normal?

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't know the answer to your question since I've never raised chicks before. However, I wanted to ask you where you got your chicks? Did you order them from a hatchery? Which one?

3. Irish Cluck

Irish Cluck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    We ordered from "My Pet Chicken.com" all arrived happy and healthy.

4. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    They could think there is something to eat on the sides? Mine will peck the water jar when I refill it and flip it over. The bubbles and noise make them want to eat it I guess lol they will randomly peck the sides of their brooder too.

congrats on the babies [​IMG]

5. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Is the kiddie pool decorated with different designs? I remember when I first got mine and there was a teeny tiny little dot on the wall of their brooder..... they NEVER stopped pecking at it! [​IMG] It was funny at first but then it got annoying
    It's just a chick thing [​IMG] Peck at anything in sight

6. Cygnis

Cygnis Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    My Light Brahma pecks at a birthmark I have on my hand -- I think it may be something they think is food! Hehehe

7. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    newborn chickes liketo peckat anythingincludingthere owntoes there just curios ( thats what i read anyway ) i just got 3 of my own on saturday and they peck at everything goinh including the screws in the nest box ! mum( buff orpington) looks afterthem every second of the day bless her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by