Chicks are here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tappy4me, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Tappy4me

Tappy4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    We went ahead and got the heat lamp and thermometers today, as well as a bottle of Nutri-Drench to keep on hand. I wanted to be able to play with the light a bit before we get the chicks next week to monitor temps.

Here is the brooder thus far. We'll be getting the chicks, food, feeders and waterers the same day, and pine shavings. For the first few days, we're just going to use blue pads and paper towels.

I can hardly contain my excitement and eagerness to get some chicks!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also got one of these (North States play yard) for when they outgrow the brooder.
    It's 26" tall and with the extension pack, 34.4 square feet of space. Will be easy to put a cover over so they can't jump out, and allow some play time outdoors or just give some needed room inside.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    That's great! Your brooder looks amazing. [​IMG]

What breeds are you getting, and from where?

3. Tappy4me

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    Thanks! :)

We'd like to get some Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons for sure, but are keeping an eye out for Barred Rocks or other similar sized gals. :) Looking mostly for layers. Planning to get 6 from Southern States, since they have the "Buy a 50 lb bag of feed and get 6 chicks free" deal starting the middle of next week when they get the chicks in.

We were going to get some of the black and white chicks Tractor supply had, but they had already sold them by the time I got off work.

Going to pop in, or call, TSC Monday and Tuesday to see what they've gotten in. If something appealing, we'll be getting 6 chicks from there too.

The Orpingtons, we haven't figured out exactly where we are going to get them. A NPIP breeder at Zions Crossroads has a list on craigslist right now for Lemons and a few Lavendars. But we were waiting until after we got everything needed before calling him. At this point though, I wonder if he even has any left. :/

While leaving our TSC today though, it looked like some folks were having a poultry swap. They had a few chicks and some roosters. I think I spied a Barred Rock Rooster...He was really pretty. :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  4. Tappy4me

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    After 3 hours, the 60 watt bulb I put in the heat lamp had the temperature right under the light at 86* F. Ambient room temp is 74ish. We have a 100W bulb to try next. Soon as the 60 W cools, I'll be switching them out and see how that does. I'm thinking it should do the trick. We bought a pack of two 250W red heat lamp bulbs, just in case. But we are both kind of afraid to leave those on when we aren't here.

We will be putting a oil radiator heater in the room, since that part of the house the temp does tend to fluctuate. With a heater, it stays nice and stable. :) Combined with the heat lamp, I think everything will work out perfectly!

So antsy!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. Tappy4me

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    And about 10 minutes after that post, was able to switch out the bulb. Temp is now up to 96 and holding steady. :)

6. Tappy4me

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    It is up to 100 degrees now right under the light. 70 on the opposite cool side. Is that too much of a difference?

We will be putting a heater in the room too, so that should raise the ambient temp up a bit. But is the 100 too hot? They do have a good amount of space they can move around to get away from the hottest spot. I'm sure after we put some pine shavings in, that will help raise overall heat for them.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You said your room temp was already 74. I wouldn't try to raise the room temp. As long as the space under the heat light is 90 - 95, and all of the chicks can get into that warm area, it's great that the rest of the area is a bit cooler. Mama hen provides a place (under her) for the chicks to get warmed up. they spend most of their time running around in the great outdoors. Don't baby them too much!

8. Tappy4me

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    Just a worry wart being a first timer keeping them! [​IMG] That room fluctuates quite a bit at night...on cooler nights, it drops down to the 50s in there, sometimes colder. We don't have central air, so rely on heaters for the back part of the house to keep it a stable temp.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What about a towel or blanket over the top of the brooder, on the other side, away from the light to hold the heat in? Play around with it, it's good that you are doing the prep now before the panic of having little peeps sets in. Perhaps use the heater the first night, and let the chicks tell you what they need. Your sister in Christ.

10. Tappy4me

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    We can definitely try that too! Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm so worried over these chicks already, and I don't even have them yet! Playing around with the heater at least gives me something to do until the chicks arrive! haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by