Chicks are messy with their waterer :P

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SJchickens, Mar 24, 2015.

1. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Our 4 chicks walk in their water all the time. They don't spill it on the floor, but I'm wondering if it's ok for them to walk in it, or should I find them another waterer?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Chicks do that, and it's best if you gradually raise the waterer as they grow. Mine goes on bricks or wood blocks, trying to keep it at back level of the smallest chick. Mary

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    try raising it a little, it will help a little but probably won't stop them. I raised this last batch of chicks with horizontal nipples from about a week old on and I will never go back to regular waterers. The water stays clean and no wet shavings. Also a lot less work for me, 2 gallons of water last 16 chicks 4-5 days. Their 9 weeks now and I still only go thru 2 1/2 gallons every 3 days.
    With four chicks you might get by with a rabbit water. Walking in the water isn't to bad but the pooping and bedding aren't good.

4. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY

Thank you for your advice! I think we will switch to poultry nipples, but at the moment this basic waterer was the only one they had in stock. Whenever they get shavings in their water I remove them.

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I agree on switching to the nipples, it's a lot better. I have tried both the horizontal and the vertical types and much prefer the horizontal ones. they cost a little bit more but work a lot better too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by