Chicks are on the GROW...How much room do I need??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CoopinAintEasy, Apr 30, 2016.

1. CoopinAintEasy

CoopinAintEasy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    TN
    I have 8 chicks that are getting bigger (and bigger (and bigger))) and I'm trying to figure out if I need to space them out. I have them in a tub that is 30" x 20". I'm thinking I'm going to run out of space soon. What do you have your chicks in?!!?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You are already overcrowded, unfortunately. Generally speaking you want a minimum of 1 square foot of open space in a brooder per bird -- this excludes space occupied by feed/water stations, etc. The longer the birds will be in the brooder (ie you are planning to build a coop while they brood and get behind, meaning instead of moving out at 5-6 weeks they are in there for 8+ weeks), the more space you'll want. Yes, birds can be kept in smaller spaces, but the issues that you encounter are often a product of, or exasperated by, overcrowded conditions.

3. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    The basic rule that I have, there is no such thing as too much space.

A cheap brooder is to get several boxes from your grocery or liquor store and put them together. Very simple and you can add more space as they need it. I have my 6 week old chicks in one in the basement and while they are only using half of what they have offered to them I know that it won't be long before they will be running the length enthusiastically. I put the light on one end and the food and water in the middle. [​IMG] Plus, the brooder cost me nothing since I already had the light (not shown since this was before I put chicks in) and the wire.

[​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Why not just move them into their coop now? Chicks will benefit from the cooler temperatures and will delight in all the space.

You don't mention their age, but you could probably start weaning them off heat, and they could be out of your hair in just a few days.

5. CoopinAintEasy

Apr 27, 2016
    TN
    They range from 3-5 weeks. Most are 3-3.5 weeks.

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I have generally went with multiple sized brooders in the years past, upgrading as the birds matured...

Starting out in smaller bins like this, multiples if needed...

[​IMG]

Then I moved them into one of these, it's a dog/cat pet shop display case, I turn it door side up...

[​IMG]

But this year I decided to put an end to the stages and decided to focus on one brooder, a 300 gallon stock tank, 3 feet wide, 9 feet long...

[​IMG]

When they hit about 6-8 weeks they get moved out to the coop in isolation/grow out pens...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. CoopinAintEasy

Apr 27, 2016
    TN
    OK I took all your advice and made a chicken palace out of a bunch of 12x12 boxes. It's a 1.5 sq ft per chick. They are all (of course) staying in one of the boxes and ignoring most of the others.

8. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    They will expand slowly once they realize that they have more space and it is alright. Mine stay right on the edge of the first box but when they get to running and playing they cover two of my large boxes. I even have them a "mountain" of pine shavings in their box and I love watching them running up and down it. [​IMG] Anyway, you will now have much happier chicks with the extra space.

9. CoopinAintEasy

Apr 27, 2016
    TN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    We started them in a 33gallon plastic tote. Perfect size for little ones. Ours were hatched Wednesday. I will be moving them to the trough/ stock tank this week. I started with 8 then added 7 more and on the 16th adding another 4-6.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by