Chicks are out in the coop! *added more pics*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by acissej, Jun 20, 2010.

1. acissej

acissej Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    We moved them out there today! (gulp) Yesterday we spent about 5 hours fixing the coop up to our liking. We added sand all along the ground, and leveled the runs and the coop really carefully. We also added the hardware cloth apron along the bottom. We screwed it with screws and washers to the inside of the bottom of the frame, and tacked it down with landscape pins. We're going to throw a little dirt over it just to make it less ugly but it's pretty secure right now.

[​IMG]

We also added additional locks to it. The original locks (the silver-colored ones) were really easy to open, and our 2 year old was constantly opening all the doors and crawling around in there. We don't want him doing that with the chickens in there so we bought the brass locks and added carabiners to keep them closed (so we don't need padlocks or something more difficult out there). We put them on all the doors except the 3 doors to the nesting boxes, since they aren't as easily accessible anyway.

[​IMG]

We covered the hole that leads to the ladder so they have to stay up in the coop for now. We want them to learn that's where they live and sleep. Plus, they still seem really small and we were worried about them being able to know to go up and down that ladder. We'll let them have access to the run probably in a few days. You can see the hole in this pic next to the food.

[​IMG]

We also put the heat lamp out there since a few of our chicks aren't fully feathered, and it's NOT warm here lately (ugh). We screwed in a heavy duty plant hook to the very top of the peaked ceiling and hung the heat lamp from that, so it's plenty high. One of the roosts that's directly under the heat lamp feels pretty warm but it won't combust or anything, and it's nowhere near the shavings.

[​IMG]

They seem to love it! Right away they were all craning their necks to check out everything. It's SO cute looking at them at eye-level too rather than from above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Wow. That is one nice looking coop.[​IMG]

3. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Very nice coop! You've done a bang-up job on it - very functional and attractive too! Your chicks look right at home. It's good you are keeping them in the coop for a bit so they will know that is their home and will put themselves to bed at night. [​IMG]

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Your coop really is pretty. A couple suggestions:

Consider replacing the chicken wire on double front doors with hardware wire for security at night from preds.

I'd still use locks on the doors. Those carabiners won't keep a raccoon out for long. And having the red light on all night gives them a little night light to work by.

Nice job! Your chickens look so happy.

5. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    [​IMG]

6. acissej

Jun 2, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Thanks for the input. I was a bit worried about the wire on the run and on the doors. It's actually "half inch hex tightly woven wire", smaller than chicken wire. It doesn't seem very strong but it's not just standard chicken wire. Would it still be something I should consider replacing? It's everywhere. I'm not even sure I could replace it. It's constructed sandwiched between the boards, if that makes sense. It's not on the inside or the outside. I'd have to take the whole thing apart.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  7. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. acissej

Jun 2, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    And there's NO WAY raccoons could open those locks with the carabiners. We have a heck of a time opening them ourselves. They're pretty stiff and they take some precision to get out of the lock at just the right angle, etc. I'm pretty pleased with that solution!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by