Chicks are out of the bathtub, but not outside yet

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
Well, everyone is out of the tub now. They have been getting out for the past week, but one at a time. Yesterday three were out, so I figured it was time to let them have more room. I put down the pine shavings bedding all over the floor of the bathroom, moved their waterer and food, and of course moved everyone out onto the floor. I still have the 4 - 4 1/2 foot tall pet gate across the door way (the gate has a walk through door) and the shorter child gate across also, so that none of my furkids can reach into the room through the slats of the child gate. Plus to keep any of the chicks from being able to walk through the slats. They will be 5 weeks old this coming Monday, but the spaces of the pet gate is still wide enough they could get through.

I would like to have moved them outside to new home, but the chicken house (a nice 10x10 shed, with floor, real wood walls and roof and shingled roof) is not ready yet. Hubby still has it on the stacked 2x4's (stacked tall) and he has not gotten any vents for ventilation in it yet. I am hoping this weekend he will solve all those issues.

For vents I am thinking of using return air vents (like in houses for air return to your heating and cooling system). They have ones that are 2-3 feet long and about 8 inches tall (some even 12 inches tall). The venting ribs are small enough that I don't think snakes (maybe babies or smaller garter snakes) could get in. And if need be, I could wrap screen wire around each vent. Also in the winter, they could easily be covered up. As for placing of the vents; am thinking two on the bottom of the shed (on opposite sides of the shed walls) and two on the top of the side walls (again on opposite sides to get air flow in). Maybe check into a roof vent to try to let hot air out through the roof top (where heat rises and collects).

I sure wish I had a couple windows. I would love to put a window on two sides of the chicken house, again on opposite sides for air flow. Have screens on the windows to keep out nasties, and in winter close up the windows, but still have sunlight be able to get in and have natural heat from the sunshine in the winter. Oh, well, if wishes were horses...............................................
hmm.png

I'm one of those folks who brood in the bathroom, too. When my chicks start to get out of the brooder, I cheer 'em on. Way to go, little ones! Exercise those wings! Sometimes I'd open the bathroom door and find two or three of 'em standing in the middle of the bath mat, looking at me. "Whut?" It got so they'd just hop back onto the edge of the brooder and perch there, chirping little chickie stories to me. Bathrooms are easy to clean.

Occasionally I'd find a chick on the counter, peering at its reflection in the sink faucet.

They'd learn to hop back into the brooder when it was time to go night-night.

When I spent some time in the bathroom for reasons other than just visiting or taking care of their water and feed, they'd hop to the edge of the brooder, then to my knees as I sat on the only place anybody could sit in the bathroom.

They didn't like it when I showered, or used my hair dryer. But after I got out of the shower, they'd go into the stall and check things out.

Great place to keep a brooder. The only really annoying thing about it was the dust everywhere I'd have to wipe down. I mean, even on the top of the bathroom cabinet over the sink? And on the shower rod? Amazing.

Enjoy your chickies! You'll miss them when they go outside. BUT you will also be relieved at the same time.
lol.png

Well, they have discovered the tolet paper holder and the roll of toilet paper. They have had a great ole time stringing it all over the place.
lol.png

I tried taking some pictures and will try to upload them later.

I vented our coop at the top front and back, front wall being the taller by 2 ft, I get good flow and the inside of the coop is as dry as a desert bone. I considered bottom venting but thought better of it because of predation. Coons need only a claw or tooth hold and they will tear their way in.

Quote:
We have coons bad out here. So bad we are going to have to contact a removal place. They are eating all of our outside cat's food and destroying a lot of things. I know it is more than one coon. Hubby brought home a 10 or 15 pound bag of cat food and they ripped it open and ate the entire thing in one night.

Good news is that I found some windows on craigslist. Going to go get them tomorrow. They are not huge things, but should be nice for cross ventilation. They are the kind that slide sideways. Brand new still wrapped up. They are 17 inches tall and 31 wide, with screens on them (may add a layer of hardware cloth over them from the outside to make it more secure, so nothing can rip through the screen wire). Will leave then open all summer and in winter will close them, but have sunshine through the glass to help naturally warm. Still going to see about putting a roof vent on to take out the heat that builds up in that area. And the doors on the front of it are nice and large, so will leave them open during the day. Will have air from the doors on the front, both sides from the windows and vent on the roof to take out that heat. Will have a door way cut into the one side to be able to open it up to get into the nest boxes to remove the eggs from outside of the chicken house. The door will be hinged and have good latches on it, to keep it securely shut.

Back
Top Bottom