Chicks are piping one question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cedar post, Jan 28, 2010.

1. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Lockdown was two days ago. Humidity was at 70 percent and today the humidty is down to 65. I'm thinking this is ok but this is my first time hatching. I guess how low can humidity go before I have to worry? Thanks

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I think most recommend 65 to 70. I am learning too!

3. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Thanks this is what I expected to hear if it's any different someone please let me know.

4. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    the number 65 and above is good and i have also seen lower , i use sponge (high level of surface contact for evap vs water in a bowl)soaked in hot hot water put it in bator which humidity jumps quick and works good for me . i use the dry method during the first of the 21 days and when hatching time the sponge goes in had real good luck but i'm sure their is all kinds of ideas .

5. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    If you need to add water after lockdown get some aquarium tubing, put it down in the bator through an air hole, use a bottle with a tip lid, I used a pinic type ketchup bottle, and add water that way without opening the bator. I did have the tubing routed down to a sponge, but its too late for that, so just run it to one of the little resovoirs (sp?). The whole tube/bottle set up was no more than 5.00 at Walmart.

6. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:You'll be fine. As soon as the eggs start hatching your humidity is going to sky rocket. My humidity was at 60% when my first egg hatched and shot up to 84% and stayed there throughout the rest of the eggs hatching.

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

some people said that's depend on the place where are you living, but i just use *standard* recommendation, never let it below 60. 70-80 is okay, once you have even 1 hatched, humidity will increase so fast. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by