Chicks are sick??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mauka, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Mauka

Mauka Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Hawai'i
    I started with 16, down to 13 over the course of a month-give a week or two. My issue now is that the chicks are losing thier feathers-going bald!! The feathers they do have are ratty and nasty looking. I keep thier brooder clean and dry. They've got plenty water and food. What could be going on?? Looks like one-my baldest one-may pass tonight. Poops look ok. They do not pick on each other. Help!

2. Mauka

Aug 28, 2014
    Hawai'i
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    While 4 weeks of age is very young, pullets can go through what is known as a "juvenile molt"....my 4 girls went through a juvenile molt at 6 weeks of age...feathers were flying everywhere! [​IMG] Can you post a pic of your girls?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  4. DuckieLover2014

DuckieLover2014 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Missouri
    But when they moult they should not.be passing away. Didnt you say you starting with 16 now down to 13?

Are they all Roosters? Could they be fighting and plucking out one anothers Feathers by chance?
    Do you see blood on them any where when your seeing all the lifted feathers? Any signs of them fighting at all?

Keep us updated please. Can you also post a picture? It will help be able to pin point what may be going on.

Best wishes for them.. I hope there going to be ok.

5. Mauka

Aug 28, 2014
    Hawai'i
    T
    hats whats so strange, none of them fight. Unless it's happening at night but I'm a light sleeper and they are outside my window. No blood, no bald spots, it's pretty much all over.

6. DuckieLover2014

DuckieLover2014 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Missouri
    Awwe :(
    Well what ever is going on here, hopefully ends soon.

7. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    They may be stress-molting. I would add electrolytes (or even some sugar) to their water. I have had layers stress-molt because their waterer got clogged inside and they had to drink from the outdoors one. If they are dehydrayed it'll be worse. They may be passing because molting is extremely tough on a chicken, especially young ones.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  8. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they broilers?

My experience with broilers is that they lose their chick down, and the feathers don't grow in as nice as regular chicks. They do look bald and gross at 4-weeks. Some people do have higher mortality with broiler chicks than they would with normal chicks.

ETA: UHG, I gotta remember to look at the original date before posting!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. Mauka

Aug 28, 2014
    Hawai'i
    Hey that's ok, no matter how late you totally answered my questions! They are broilers and what you said makes total sense!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by