Chicks are so afraid of me!

j'schicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Sonoma
My chicks are a week and a half old and they are totally terrified of me. Every time I come near the brooder they freak out. They won't take treats from my hand, no matter how long I sit motionless and wait and anything that I put in the brooder is ignored for about an hour until they forget where it came from. Any suggestions on how I can tame these babies?

My chicks are three weeks old, and I tamed them by grabbing them and holding them (Even though they screamed bloody murder) and then just sit and pet them. How old were they when you got them? (That may make a difference)

Go to my BYC page for some info on taming. Also, if they can hear and see you comming to the brooder it helps them not be startled. My brooder is a clear plastic tub that works perfectly. Good luck...

Thanks noodleroo, I'll check your page out. I have them in a clear plastic brooder now and to answer your question saroco, I hatched 4 of them and bought 3 (less than a week old) from the feed store. Thanks!

Mine are 2 weeks old today and I got them at 2 days. They are getting tamer, mostly, but there are still some that run to the other side of the brooder. I just keep picking them up, even the ones that protest and pet them and talk to them. Some have gotten to where they'll come to my hand, some won't. With 36, it's hard to know who has been handled and who hasn't. There is one Ameraucana that is distinct looking and my Daughter's favorite. She calls her fluffy face. That particular chick has become very calm because she's handled a lot. Just keep trying.

I still turn my eggs by hand and every time I turned them in the 'bator, I'd talk to the chicks inside. The brooder is in a spare bedroom and I'd start talking to them comming down the hall in the same tone of voice as when they were still in the egg. When I'd open the bedroom door, they'd always be waiting for me (and Patsy). Patsy, my collie, would stick her head in the brooder first, I'd sit on the floor and we'd both adore the babies for a little while. Consistancy is the key...

Mine always hated it when I approached them from above by reaching into the box. We ended up making one side of the brooder removable. We would just remove it and sit there and pet them, hold them, etc. This worked much better. We would let them come out and walk around us. They loved to sit on our laps and still do!!! Once they get more comfortable around you, they will take the treats from you!

Last edited:
Just whistle to them. When I whistle Bobwhite bobwhite and scratch up some feed they come right to me. They're like little puppies.

They can be tamed.Just pick them up.Its time consuming but if you dont handle them daily they will be skiddish.Rub them gently under neck and around ears and if feathered any under wing's.They LOVE it under the wing's.Roo's and hen's.I have a Silver duckwing hen she basicaly bow's down now and put's her wing's up for me to hold her and give her her rub's daily.She is about 8 month's old now.My last group I just graduated out I had 3 roo's in there one of them a cocky lil cochin mix.He was the first to roost on brooder side.I handled him daily and rubbed him and tried to give very one of that 12 attaention.Now that he is in pen with the other's he run's up and wants a nubby back and under wing rub daily and he pecks at my hand.He is soooo cute!I'll have to post a pic of them up maybe tomm.You are the boss and they are babie's so they may peep a bit and flutter but they will learn quickly if you work with them.The only Really Untamable's I have found are Guinea's.They scream no matter what! lol Good luck hope you get some good pet's.

My chicks let me rub and hand feed them for the 1st time today. I think theyre getting used to me.

Back
Top Bottom