chicks are SOAKED help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k625, Sep 13, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    We just had our first big rain here since I have built my coop/run. I went out to check on the chicks and there they are in the corner soaked. So, I have a few quesitons...

1. They are just about 5 weeks old, will they get sick, and do I have to dry them?
    2. It looked like almost everything the coop was wet, do I need to attach tarps on like 2 sides, or what do I do to keep things somewhat dry?
    Here is a pic of the coop and stuff tell me what you think I should do to make a little more rain proof. They have their box inside of there to go in at night, but they really dont know how to use it yet.
    ( not included in pic)

[​IMG]

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Yes, they need some solid walls to keep not only weather out but potential predators. What type of chickens do you have? Since you're in Florida I don't see 10-20 inches of snow in your forecast, but some form of enclosure to inclimate weather would be advisable.

Also is that sand in the coop/run? They are going to need some grass or other stuff to eat. One thing I might be concerned with is possible fungus that could grow within the sand due to drainage etc.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  3. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I would attach some tarps on at least three sides if it makes you feel better. Iam sure they will be alright if they have enough feathers.
    I know my young pullets love playing in the rain the first couple of times it rained I ran out there like a goof ball and chased them all over the place trying to put them up, I got soaked to the bone before I gave up !!!

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    We had alot of rain too and we put a tarp on top of the run. But it needs to be on there in a way that will allow the water to run off or it will cave in on them.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    So, you're worried about wet chickens in Florida? You poor thing, you sound like me. And that is a real nice coop/run. I think I would put a dog house in there or build something like that. Otherwise, as long as they have a dry place to go, let them get wet. Your setup is so cute!
    BTW, what type of flooring do you have in there? It looks nice, Karen

6. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Thanks for responding all!! They will be able to come out of the coop to roam around and eat grass, bugs, etc. I have a cabinet that I have put in there that I am in the process of making to it has plenty of air holes. That is what they will be locked in at night to keep predators out. They type of chickens are 5 week old silkies. There is a metal roof on tops, so the tarps would be on the 3 sides, but will that make it too hot in there with not alof of air flow. The bottom just has chicken wire, and then sand on top, I am going to mix in de and then put shavings over top. Here is a pic of the box they can go in, but chose not too. In this pic its not done yet..like I said making more air holes.

[​IMG]

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I know what you mean about the tarp and the heat. I have been moving my chicks from the patio to the garage several times a day to find the cooler spot (92 degrees, or 94) It's too hot, esp in a rubbermaid box. I think tomorrow I will put them in a cage so at least they get some air movement.
    The cabinet is a great idea, and I'm sure you're creative, and I'd like to see the finished project. Karen

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Since you're in florida, I assume it's hot and wet so the chicks should be ok at 5 weeks old. Now, if my chicks got drenched out here in 40-50 deg rainy weather at just 5 weeks old... and especially if they were silkies... since their feathers don't do as good as a raincoat job, I'd at least towel dry them. I'd put up tarp or ply wood on three sides of your enclosure to keep the ground dry. Wet ground no matter how warm isnt too good. It's either cold or a good spot of bad stuff to grow.

9. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I know..you cant ever get a happy medium right?? lol. Ok so after this lovely rain my paint has now started to peel off of my box for them, of course I didnt sand it before I painted it ahhhhhhhhh [​IMG]...so I am just fed up with all of the work I have had to do with this free thing, so im going to just break down and buy something after all of this hard work......so, what is the best thing I can buy to put them in at night to keep little fingers out!! oh yeah and reasonably inexpensive too!

10. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I am very new to this whole chicken thing, so just take what i say with a grain of salt.

I have a really cute play house that I turned into a chicken coop. I would lock them up at night, but they didn't like to go in there so I would have to do a chicky round up. Then I finally got around to putting roosts in there. Now they are sitting in there as soon as the sun goes down happy as can be.

If you are looking for a cheap and or easy alternative, I saw that you had a small dog crate. I don't know how many chickens you have, but maybe you could just get a large dog crate?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by