chicks are started to peck at me.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My chicks got here yesterday, and several of them, when they get picked up, peck at me. It doesn't hurt, but i figured it will when she gets older!!!! what do i do?!?!?!?! and how do i tame them?

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    It depends on what type of chicks do you have

3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    It might take them a while to get used to being held, and some may never really like it. But don't give up! Put a towel on your lap and sit in another room for a few minutes with each chick. I found that mine were harder to settle at first when they could hear the other ones peeping.

Also try feeding them their chick crumbles out of your hand for a while, so they get used to your hand being in there.

Hope this helps!

4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    i have orps gold stars australorps americana wyandottes

5. EeyoreD

EeyoreD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Attica, MI
    Ha! Careful with that though. I found that my little chicks think my arm freckles are tasty bits and peck and pull at them :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    With them needing to be warm, how would you do this?

7. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    those specific breeds tend to peck at the first few stages of growth. they will stop sooner or later

8. Aeropennchick

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    They are fine as long as you keep it to a few minutes at a time before they feather out. Remember, chick that are raised by other chickens venture all around and just run back under their mom when they get cold. Some people suggest holding each chick just above the brooder, all settled in your hand, for a few minutes at first, but I found that they really didn't seem to feel comfortable and would try to jump back down to be with their friends. I had much better success sitting in a chair.
    Mine are three weeks now and fall asleep on my lap while I watch TV!

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    ok.......I really looked forward to having chicks, i wanted to have the feeling that they adored me. Not feeling it. I guess its only the second day.....They seems so frantic when i pick them up and take them out, even in pairs.......

10. Aeropennchick

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    It will get better - I'll bet within three days of letting them eat out of your hand and spending some time with them in your lap, you will notice a big difference with most (if not all) of the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by