Chicks aren’t drying

LMW_lilly

Hatching
Feb 19, 2018
I have chicks that are just not drying in the incubator. This is my first time hatching eggs. The first chick that hatched had been taken out before the other ones hatched and he is puffy but now the other 5 hatched around the same time so I couldn’t take them out atdifferent times. Now it has been two days and I took them out and put them in my brooderbox. Is there something else I can do?

I have chicks that are just not drying in the incubator. This is my first time hatching eggs. The first chick that hatched had been taken out before the other ones hatched and he is puffy but now the other 5 hatched around the same time so I couldn’t take them out atdifferent times. Now it has been two days and I took them out and put them in my brooderbox. Is there something else I can do?
Hairdryer?

This may not be the right answer, but when we hatched our chicks and they dried crusty, I spent some time ruffling and fluffing out their down when I moved them to the brooder. Didn't take too long and they got fluffy so they would stay warm.

I just kind of squished/squashed/broke apart the really crinkly parts and kind of "petted" them gently against the grain of feather growth, I think. Just start experimenting. It wasn't too hard to do.

Plus after I got one a little loosened up, I'd work on another one for a bit and with the other chicks jostling around, they seemed to fluff up more on their own, too. It will have been a year in May, so it's been a while, but I know I did at least 5-6 chicks.

Yes, I just picked one up and let my hand keep it warm while I gently worked on crinkling and loosening things up. I do the same thing if I have crunchy hair from hair spray. I mess with it until it's soft again and the style is gone :)

Back
Top Bottom