1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks aren't roosting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kkapotsy, May 25, 2016.

1. kkapotsy

kkapotsy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    Eight week old chicks got moved to the coop about three weeks ago. They haven't roosted for sleep. They sleep huddled on the floor of the coop. I tried placing them on their roost but they just jump off. Do I need to relax, will they find their way up there? Pic of interior of coop in case you guys think my set up might have something to do with it...

2. kkapotsy

Mar 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    My chicks started roosting in the coop after a day. They'll start roosting though. Its their natural instinct.

1 person likes this.
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Relax. They are still babies, and they don't have any grown ups to show them. They will eventually use the roosts, when they are ready.

1 person likes this.
  5. kkapotsy

Mar 3, 2016
    Roost is about two feet off the floor, no more than that definitely. Made a poop board for them filled with pdz. Do I need to make them a ladder? Is the roost okay? Or do I just need to give them more time to figure it out.

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Quote:
    [​IMG]

7. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    Mine are steadfastly refusing to roost as well, and they're three months old :-/

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Relax - they'll figure it out. Even if they didn't, so what? It's not going to harm them if they sleep in a huddle.

9. greenfeathers

greenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    People's Republic of MD
    I've been having the same issue with mine. (14 weeks old 24 chicks) They are slowly learning. Seems each night an additional chicken is on the roost and the pile on the floor gets smaller. They have now brought themselves inside at night for 4 days straight which took about a week for them to learn to do. Fewer chickens in the run each night before that. So i believe they'll figure it out. A ramp probably isn't needed. I built one and no sooner did I finish but a bird flew right up to the middle roost to see what I was doing. [​IMG]

10. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    Mine are really good at getting themselves inside before it's dark, but still just dogpile. I made a lower roost on cinderblocks in case my main one is too high and they're playing on it and chilling on the blocks (I can see footprints and poop) but just no deal on the roosting. I wouldn't mind as much, but I've got a girl with one wing and at least twice a week she's getting flipped onto her bad side and needing to be rescued. *sigh*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by