chicks arrive in 2 months

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by loveclucks, Feb 4, 2015.

1. loveclucks

loveclucks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Seattle
    Hello, I am new here and really appreciate all the knowledge I have learned but now I have a question. I ordered 15 chicks from McMurray and they are scheduled to arrive around April 5th. I ordered 2 buff orpingtons, 2 easter eggers, 2 red star, 2 australorps, 2 columbian wyandottes, 2 speckled sussex, and 3 Welsummers. I ordered all females except for the Welsummers which were only offered as straight run. I plan on selling 1 of each breed since we are only allowed 8 hens in Seattle. My question is, should I sell the extras very soon after I get them so I don't force them to rearrange their pecking order? Also, I plan on buying one barnevelder chick locally and my question is how close do they need to be in age so as to not create any problems? I am hoping I can find a newly hatched barnevelder to add to my existing babies. Thanks in advance for any input and I am sure I will be back with more questions, and of course, PICS!! I am so excited!

2. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I wouldn't think that separating them to sell would cause any problem as they all know each other.

As far as adding the barnevelder chick,....do that as soon as you possibly can. They grow incredibly fast and as little as a week difference in age can make a difference when they're little.

I just hatched out 3 chicks and am working on a 2nd batch. I won't be able to put the chicks together because of the difference in their sizes (at least for a while). You can almost see them grow before your eyes!

Welcome!

3. GOLDENSEABRIGHT

GOLDENSEABRIGHT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Well if you do separate before you sell, you will not be able to combine them again. And add that chick as soon as possible.[​IMG]

4. loveclucks

loveclucks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Seattle
    Thanks for the input. I was just wondering if it would be best to sell the extras immediately or wait a couple weeks. I intend to keep them all together in one brooder and have plenty of room. I am so excited, I can't wait. I am thinking about them so much I am dreaming about baby chicks!! I wanted to buy chicks locally but am unable to find all the breeds I want at the same time so I went the hatchery route.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by