Chicks arrive this week, am I ready?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kaugomu, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Kaugomu

Kaugomu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    This week, my family will be getting our first ever baby chicks (red star, barred rock, and brown leghorn), and despite all the research and reading I've done, I just wanted to check with you old pros here on the forums to make sure I haven't missed anything in preparations, plus I have a few questions.
    We have the (cat proof) brooder all set up, I just need to add the pine shavings and their food and water, but I wanted to wait to do that till the morning they should arrive. I have the heat lamp on now to make sure it's at the right level to keep the chicks at the right temp right off the bat. We bought DE for the coop outside for when our girls are old enough to move out, but do we need to sprinkle any on the shavings in the brooder - I would think no, but just checking. We've got starter - developer feed ready, and bought some parakeet grit for them as well for when we start giving them treats (I have a 4 year old who loves to give her pets treats, I know it's inevitable that within a week or two she'll be wanting to give the chicks treats too!). I sectioned off a smaller part of the brooder to keep them contained closer to the heat lamp (which doesn't reach quite to the middle of the brooder) for the first week or two till they are big enough to not need as much of the heat and too big for the smaller section.

Since I'm still new to the forums I can't post pictures so I know it's a bit unclear, but I hope that doesn't hinder. Mostly I just wanted to make sure I'd gotten it all ready and hadn't missed anything. Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Sounds like you have a good setup.

Try to avoid the treats for at least a few weeks.

And if you do decide to give treats, provide some "chick grit" so they can "chew" their treats.

You won't need any DE in the brooder; You can sprinkle some when they're bigger to keep shavings dry between cleanings.

It's good that you've got the heat lamp on NOW testing the temps.

Enjoy your new babies!!!!!

[​IMG]

3. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    [​IMG] and looks like you are doing your homework [​IMG]

Good luck

4. Kaugomu

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Quote:I couldn't find any local sources for "chick grit" but read here in the forums the parakeet grit was an acceptable alternative, so that's what we got. Is that not correct?

5. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I bought chick grit at TSC, but you won't need if for a few weeks...
    Someone else may be able to tell you more about the parakeet grit.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  6. Kaugomu

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Quote:Our closest TSC is about 30 minutes away, but maybe I'll make the drive and see if they've got chick grit specifically. Thanks

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use DE right away in the brooder. Since I had the brooder inside, I wanted to keep the odor down. I think it really works well, but make sure you have food grade, they do ingest it. Good luck with the chicks. They are so much fun to have around. I can't wait for eggs!

8. Kaugomu

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Quote:Thanks! I know our DE is food grade, I was very specific about that point when we were shopping at the feed store. [​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have been using Photobucket http://register.photobucket.com to upload pictures.

You can copy the [/B] Code by left clicking on it, copy and then paste it in your forum message.

The [B]URL[/B] Link is for linking to the photo. The image itself will not appear, just the URL for the image.

The [B]IMG[/B] Code is used on message boards (such as ours). It will post the actual picture.

You can use any online uploader such as:
    http://photobucket.com
    http://www.flickr.com/
    http://tinypic.com/
    http://www.snapfish.com

I would get the chick grit from TSC as some parakeet grit has calcium in it so check the label on the bag. Not a good idea to give them calcium.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  10. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I suggest you be careful with the divider in your brooder to keep the chicks on the end with the heat lamp. I have read (and seen with my own chicks) that chicks will self-regulate their temperature to some degree. What I mean is that if they get too hot under the lamp, they will go to the shady end. If they get cold, they will come back to the heated end. If you block off their route and they get too hot, they have no way to escape it.

I've had three batches of chicks and seen them move about this way. I haven't lost any yet (knock on wood).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by