1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks arrived, 2 close to death. Can I still save them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shmccarthy, Feb 13, 2014.

1. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Well my chicks arrived, most were alive and well. 5 didn't make the journey :( 2 were under the others, barely alive. I took these two out and it seems they can't walk. I'm not sure if it's from being stuck under the others or what but they immediately tumble over when I try and help them stand. One is peeping still so I think that's a good sign. The other lies there lifeless until I touch it or pick it up, it then kicks it's legs a bit but neither have their eyes open. Is there anything I can do to help them?? The others are doing great. It was a 3 day journey so I can imagine they are tired and hungry.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The feed stores carry vitamin/electrolyte packets to mix in drinking water. If anything is going to perk them up enough to eat that's it. You can try using an eye dropper to get them to drink that.

3 days it the limit of yolk sac reserves so they really need some water and food. If the electrolytes get them perked up enough try moistening the crumbles to a mush to make it easier to eat.

3. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I put some electrolytes in the water :) I dipped each of their beaks in and they all drank
    The two seem to hold their head backwards, especially when I pick them up. I wonder if it's wry neck? :/ they're bantam silkies

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Another quick option is to mix sugar with water and put a drop at a time on the tip of their beak. Or if you have it, use hummingbird syrup.

I've used an eye dropper. Just a drop at a time on the tip if the beak. You don't want to stuff it down their throat. That could drown them.

The sugar gives them energy, which they need.

Also make sure they are warm. That may be even more important.

5. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    They didn't make it :( I tried giving both a little of the water but I think it was already too late for them. Poor little guys.
    The rest of the chicks seem to really be enjoying themselves. Their brooder is outdoors but is really secure, has 2 lamps and insulation. They were all drinking and I think the electrolytes made them all feel a bit better because now they're all chasing each other around the brooder and promptly falling asleep on the spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by