Chicks Arrived Last Nite - Need Some Help/advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TarHeelBlue, Jan 28, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    2 Chicks hatched last night - 1st one around midnight. 2nd one after. They are still looking "wet" Is this normal- also they don't seem to be able to get up and walk around, just push themselves around in the bator. I know you can leave them for 24 hours or more , but shouldn't they start looking dry by now? They may even look a little "sticky" I don't know since I haven't done this before.[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Depending on your air flow they can be damp looking and pretty scraggly for the first day or so. They don't just pop up on to their feet and will flop around for a bit before getting up and acting like a chick you see at the feed store which are usually 3+ days old.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:X2.

4. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    They'll fluff up...I usually leave mine in the bator for the first 36hours. Keep an eye on your humidity while the others are hatching. Congrats!!![​IMG]:celebrate

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That high humidity during lockdown makes them all look like they are in Miami in the summer time and having a bad hair day.
    It may take them a while longer to get their feet under them. Hatching is hard work. [​IMG]

6. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Thanks guys - I thought I had mutant chicks [​IMG] So, best case I can take them out tomorrow and put them in the brooder (that will be about 36 hours )

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

36 hrs is fine. From the time the egg is put in the incubator, that yolk is enough energy to last about 24 days. In other words, chick will be fine 72 hours post hatch without food or water assuming hatching on the 21st day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by