1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks Arrived Today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zackcrack, Mar 3, 2016.

1. zackcrack

zackcrack Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2016
    I went and got my chicks today from the post office. Murray McMurray did an OUTSTANDING job with the entire process. I ordered the following:
    - 16 Salmon Faverolles pullets
    - 6 Salmon Faverolles cockerels
    - 2 Black Jersey Giant pullets
    - 2 Turken pullets
    - 1 Dominique pullet
    ALL VACCINATED for MAREK'S and COCCIDIOSIS

I got all of the above plus an extra SF cockerel and my free rare exotic chick. The best part; all 29 chicks made it! McMurray included two heat packs, as well. The chicks are in a 40F room with three (soon to be four) heat lamps with a 250W bulb each, about 18-24" off of the ground. the chicks are on pine shaving covered with puppy pads and have access to two strip feeders, 3 one-quart water containers with pure water, one one-gallon water container with probiotics and electrolytes, one one-gallon water container with quik chik, and a dish of warm gro-gel.

My only concern is that about 15-20 of my 29 chicks had dried waste clogging their vents and/or the area around. I spent an hour or so cleaning off every affected chick's vent with lukewarm water and paper towels. Anything else I should do for this problem? Additionally, one of the chicks has a gunk-like discharge draining from one of its eyes. It's the consistency of mucus and clear-ish in color. What should I do about this?

Thank you all!

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Shipping stress. Keep the vents clean, make sure everybody gets a dose of that electrolyte/probiotic mixture, and hopefully it will resolve itself once they settle in.

Keep the gunky eye cleaned out (wet soft cloth--don't touch eyeball with it). See if it too resolves with time...may have just gotten poked in the eye or a bit of something caught under a lid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by