Chicks Arrived Today

nateschisler

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Lancaster, Oh
Okay...they're here. 1 day down, 55 more to go. My wonderful wife picked them up while I was at work. I had the feed and water ready so when she got home, our 6 y.o. took them from the box to the brooder (the largest Sterilite tote from Target, pine chips in the bottom, 250w heat lamp).

One chick was nearly DOA. The other were energetic, crawling all over everything, eating and drinking fine. This little guy though, eyes never opened, never really stood on his feet, kinda pushing himself around, kept making a motion like he was puking. Tried some sugar water, moistened some feed, etc. He lasted about 4 hours once we were home. Lesson learned - take the opportunity while at the supplier to check the chicks (I'll take a day off next time!)

I'm surprised at how close I have to get the heat lamp for them to quit bunching up under it. I have the brooder outside in their luxury mansion, down to about 40 in this part of Ohio tonight, 70s to 80s the rest of the week. 25 chicks have already gone through about 1.5 quarts of water since noon!

Plan to feed 24/7 through Friday and then start restricting. Will they go non-stop with the heat lamp, or will they sleep at night, or just intermitent?

Congratulations on the chicks!! Wow thats alot of water!! They must have been really thirsty. They will eat and sleep all the time, day and night! Mine tend to eat better when I have a white light instead of a red. But the red helps with pecking. One lost is really good, because they can get trampled by the others while moving them. Good luck!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Grats on the chicks! We got ours yesterday also. We lost one this morning. It was pretty small and weak, so maybe the trip was just too much for it. I've kept a close eye on the rest of them and they all look healthy.

Just don't let your chicks talk to my chicks. I don't want my little guys thinking they need luxury accommodations.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom