Chicks arrived yesterday morning...too soon to start holding them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Here chickie chickie!, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Here chickie chickie!

Here chickie chickie! Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    My chicks arrived yesterday morning and all seem to be in great condition. I'd like to start holding them so they get used to human contact but I don't want to frighten them. Anyone out there had any experience with getting chicks comfortable with humans this early?

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    We were handling ours the first day. They will be a little freaked out no matter what, so go ahead and hold them. They will get used to you pretty quickly, although mine have gone through "spooky" phases as they grow. Some will be friendlier than others, just different personalities. The only time we avoided handling the chicks was when they were sleeping.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If they've "arrived" yesterday, that means they're at least 3 or 4 days old now, so they're old enough to handle gently.

Aren't they adorable?!!?

4. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    carefully

the ones we held the most as chicks are the sweetest ones as adults

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Absolutely! You can go to my page to see how I tame them. Mine are so tame its almost embarassing. If you sit in a chair in my yard, you're going to have a chicken in your lap WANTING you to pet it!

6. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Yup [​IMG]

7. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    My eight are a little over 3 weeks old. I can't believe how fast they're growing (except that little bantam barred rock, still a peanut). Pick them up now and get your snuggling in because all that soft sweet fluff is going to be replaced by feathers in weeks. I'm loving all the stages. My wyandotte is a screamer though. She's huge and ornery. When I pick her up, she has to sit with me for at least a minute without struggling before I put her back down. Outside, she's one of the first ones to run into my lap. Go figure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by