Chicks arrived!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jtallant, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jtallant

jtallant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    OK
    Shipped from Ideal on Wed and here this a.m. All are healthy and active! I was surprised there were 6 peanuts in the bunch. But I am officially a Jersey Giant novice owner! :)

1 person likes this.
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That's awesome! :thumbsup

But it isn't true until you share pictures ;)

3. catlvr976

catlvr976 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    I am still waiting for mine. They shipped from Ideal on Wed too. Hopefully they will be in the pm delivery my post office gets.....[​IMG]

What peanuts did they send you?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. jtallant

Feb 21, 2012
    OK
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. jtallant

Feb 21, 2012
    OK
    Well shoot, I got the pictures in there but I couldn't add a note. The peanuts look like Red Star to me but really I don't know for sure. The others are 10 white Jersey Giants and 3 African geese. I hope yours come today too! My red bulb should have been here yesterday but it looks like it got delayed and will be here on Sat instead so I just have the old white ones on there now, but it will be okay for a couple of days, I'm sure. Aoxa, I can't wait to check out your blog.

6. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    congrats, they are so cute. I'm working on trying to convince my DH to get ducks. I'm shooting for next year so I have time to expand the run and add a small pond.

7. aoxa

Thanks for checking it out :D

What kind of ducklings are those guys?

I am getting my first chicks either this weekend or next. They are coming from a breeder, and we are just awaiting the call that they have hatched. I have been going crazy in anticipation!

8. jtallant

Feb 21, 2012
    OK
    They're African geese for my rescue goose. He's probably about 5 years old, but only has my 2 elderly ducks to hang with so I was feeling a little bad for him...lol, besides, what's a few more to care for, right?

9. aoxa

Has he had a mate before?

They are so adorable. I want one :D

10. jtallant

Feb 21, 2012
    OK
    He did have a mate a few years ago, Lucy, but she managed to get her head stuck in the corner area of the yard that had a little wider place that I did not know about (there are 2 fences together for predator protection and it pulled apart for lack of a better description) and when she tried to pull her head back she broke her neck. I was so sad, guilty, the whole works. She was only about 1 year too, had just started laying well. I believe he is a cross between a Toulouse and a pilgrim but that is not for sure. I have a picture of him and the ducks somewhere around I should post of him, he is really pretty. I hope these Africans will be a bit louder than he is though. He only honks when he sees me in a greeting and the rest of the time he could care less what's going on. The lady at Ideal said Africans were pretty good at being loud and obnoxious when something strange is going on. I hope she's right!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by