1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks arrived!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by daoustaj, Oct 5, 2012.

1. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Just got my chicks from privett! So far each of them are doing great. Theyve hardly slept just eating a drinking all day! I ordered 25 and got one extra welsummer!i rubbed their beaks with water to make sure they know how to drink and theyve been eating and drinking since so they are on large pine shaving hope itll be ok!

2. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds perfect! Good Job! Keep us updated[​IMG]

3. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    I lost one blue silkie, later that day it was apparent he was a runt and was slow but made it 3 days. No pasty butt for him but most of the other silkies ive been battling pasty butt with yogurt warm drinking water and electrolytes. Ive olive oiled their doopas everyday and washed off any pasty poo. One silkie with the worst constipation ( from shipping??) got a hemmorroid? Type red bulb out of its butt so ive been putting hemoroud creme on that! It looks better, im wondering if this constipation/pasty butt is from shipping. Its only with the bantam silkie breed, not the standard breed. Ive never had this with my other chicks before.

4. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    Good luck :)

5. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I had alot of that happen when I hatched Araucana chicks. Had them on large pine shavings and I think that they were eating them and they all got pasty butt that I couldn't resolve and I lost all of them. Now when I get new chicks I use the shavings for padding and comfort but I cover them with paper towels until they get bigger. Hope this helps[​IMG]

6. hen101

hen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2012
    Washington,Pa
    sounds good and congrats have fun with those babies

7. capthollis

capthollis Out Of The Brooder

I have our 25 baby australops on hay, and I've been watching them try to eat it, but they just spit it back out. I could see a problem with chips due to the splintering so I decided not to use it. The hay is working out great so far.

8. hen101

Oct 27, 2012
    Washington,Pa
    good i hope tht everything goes well with your chicks

9. PeuAPeu

PeuAPeu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I just received my babies a few days ago. I keep them in a playpen (I got it for 5.00 at a yard sale) and I put down puppy pee pads and change them out daily. When I am done with them in the house, I just remove the floor of the playpen and take it outside and sanitize it. I have used it several times.

10. hen101

Oct 27, 2012
    Washington,Pa
    how cute little babies chicks in a playpen you should take pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by