Chicks arriving August 19th!

NewmanLakeMom

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 15, 2012
Question.

We ordered 60 more meat chickens that will be arriving in August. We have always ordered and raised meat birds starting in May. Should we do anything different as far as housing, food, how soon they can go outside? We are in Eastern, WA? August is always warm, but September and part of October varies year by year.

Any help is appreciated!

Question.

We ordered 60 more meat chickens that will be arriving in August. We have always ordered and raised meat birds starting in May. Should we do anything different as far as housing, food, how soon they can go outside? We are in Eastern, WA? August is always warm, but September and part of October varies year by year.

Any help is appreciated!
Watch the chicks and see how they respond. They will tell you if it is too cool or too hot.

When it was cool this spring I just hung a heat lamp in the yard. The chicks would go under it to warm up and then run around again. Actually, it was a lot like what chicks do with a mother hen -- duck under the feathers to warm up, and then off to play again.

In general, Cornish Crosses are pretty durable with cold weather. They seem to run hotter than most chicks, and can take cooler temps. I think once they are mostly feathered that as long as you have warming stations you will be able to put them outside.

As to feed, I don't know if there will be any difference.

Back
Top Bottom