Chicks arriving Monday!

demonique

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Montana
Approximately 30 chicks coming in the mail on easter monday!

I can't wait. Anxious and nervous is what I am. Over the next two days I'll really be setting up the brooder in the garage. I'm a bit concerned, since it's an unheated garage and it's still /awful/ cold out there, lows in the low twenties and highs in the thirties, maybe up to the low fifties this weekend.

But I have a heat lamp, and I'm sure we can rig things up better if it seems it's gonna be too cold.

I'm using a kiddie pool that my parents actually purchased for my brother's dog to have puppies in - however, the dog only had one puppy, actually, so... the pool has just sat around unused until I got this wild hair... Anyway, my parents have said I can borrow it, and I'll just rig up some cardboard around it to make the walls higher, I think, and put some sort of lid on top. Hopefully it'll be big enough to last them for now!

Still have to get the coop built - was looking for something prebuilt, but it's just way too much money to spend on chickies. *laugh* So building it myself is probably the way I'm gonna go.

I'm a bit concerned that I'll end up with a bunch of roos for warmth - no idea on earth what I'd do with them, or where I'd put them. Find someone to do the butchering, I guess!

So... question. I've read both that you can put the chicks into pine shaving bedding without a problem, and I've also read that you need to layer paper towels over it first. I'm suspecting that it's a matter of opinion, but I'd like a bit more advice.

Also, since I've gotta go sixty miles to get pine shavings, and I can only get outta town on my days off, I'm wondering just how much bedding to expect to go through with a brooder this size, in an average week or two, so I can make sure to go pick up some more (i have two 10 cubic foot bales on hand right now) if needed on my next trip to the 'city'.

-Katia

If you are concerned about temps, turn your heat lamp on now(about 7am est), put your thermometer in. check it tonight after work(assuming you work). Or check through out the day if you don't. Check before you go to bed and then tomorrow morning. See if you temps are ok or not. Then turn your lamp off and wait for the little guys/gals to arrive.

I didn't plan ahead, I have mine in a pole barn and had to add a space heater to supplement warmth. I have been checking them every couple hours to make sure they aren't too cold or too hot.

Good luck

I intend to do that exactly. Will be running down to the hardware store to pick up a thermometer today, since it seems the one I thought I had... doesn't seem to be there.

I actually work nights, so I'm soon to get /off/ work at 8am. *laugh* Should make for an interesting chicken venture - my schedule being rather... odd like that...

Katia, I just did the exact same thing you plan on doing. I actually built my coop in the garage and placed the kiddie pool inside with built up walls of cardboard. The heat lamp kept things plenty toasty. I didn't need a top since it was secured inside the coop. My garage hit teens at night and they were still plenty warm. By the way, it is uninsulated. Keep us posted.
Eric
brood1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you foghorn! I'm glad to hear that! Makes me feel better about the whole thing. *laugh* I was worried I might have to bring them into the house... with the cats....

HA! Foghorn- good use for those free priority mail packages!
lol.png

Quote:
Katia- Please read, read, read the posts here, then read some more! There is sooo much information here that will help you care for your new babies. Also, if you can get it, there is a book that I cant remember the *exact* tiltle - Storey's book on raising chickens - something like that, you'll find it referenced a lot in the posts. Between the book and BYC, you'll have access to a lot of great information.

Good luck with your new babies!

Quote:
Thank you! And oh, I have been. I've been wanting to do this for about a year and have been doing a lot of reading.
smile.png

I have one question - was told over the phone that the feed store carried unmedicated starter, and I had my chicks vaccinated against cocci. But... turns out that person didn't know what they were talking about, and they do NOT carry unmedicated feed.

McMurray's site says it will nullify the vaccine to feed them this. Will it do anything worse than that? Or do I need to quickly go hunting in another city for unmedicated stuff if it can be found and just bite the money spent on this feed?

I'd be interested in this answer as well. I got my new batch from McMurray and had them vaccinated as well. The chick starter I got does not say anywhere that there is medication in it, but I'de like a clarification on the issue as well, in case I end up getting some medicated by mistake or can't find un-medicated when I need it.

I got my Chick Starter from Tractor Supply store - if you have any around you.

Since im planning on getting my new chicks and ducklings by mail as well, im wondering wether its trustworthy?
Seeing as your getting your chicks by mail as well.
Just want to know it safe for them.

Congrats On The New Chicks, im sure youre very excited.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom