Chicks arriving soon! But no reliable transport! What to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yoshii, May 6, 2009.

1. Yoshii

Yoshii Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey all, my first shipped chicks ever are coming very soon! They're scheduled to ship out on Wednesday from Ideal, so probably getting here in Alabama by Friday. A few questions!

I'm going to call my post office tomorrow to let them know what's up, do I need to take any further action there?

Second, and here's the big one: my family only has one car, and my brother very recently got a job that has him out of the house by 7 in the morning. The car is also having some transmission issues, and as such neither he nor I are really comfortable with me driving the car. So, I couldn't take him to work and keep the car. I don't really have anyone else I could bum a ride off of that early, either, so that's out. So, unless they call signifigently before 7 AM, I simply do not have a car to go pick them up.

What do I do?

Paul, my brother, gets off of work at 4, so in theory he could pick them up after work, but that seems like an awful long wait. If they arrive early, could I get them to deliver the chicks with the mail, and would that be a bad idea? What do you recommend doing?

Also, anyone else ordered from Ideal that lives in central Alabama? Around what time of day did you get your peeps? I'm in Chelsea, right outside of Birmingham.

Thanks so much!

2. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Some POs will deliver the chicks with the regular mail but you run a risk of the chicks having more issues with the extended wait. Does your brother have the kind of job where he could take some time off if the chicks come. My DH once told his boss that he had a family emergency and had to get home (because one of our young chickens was missing at bedtime). He didn't tell the boss that last part. His boss was totally understanding about the family emergency thing and let him go home without a fuss.

3. Yoshii

Quote:I wish. He just got this job a couple of weeks ago, and adjusting to the new schedule has made him late a few times, plus he got sick this weekend and had to take a couple days off, so he's already on slightly thin ice with his new superiors, unfortunately. Thanks, though!

4. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Yeah, taking time off probably wouldn't be the way to go then. I guess you just have to see if the PO will deliver the chicks and hope for the best. What are ambient temps for you right now?

5. Yoshii

Currently 77, and the forecast says there's going to be a high of 90 and a low of 65 on Friday, the expected delivery date.

6. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Here in Dover PA my post office called me to see if I wanted to pick them up or have them deliver. They said they would deliver if I could guarantee that someone would be home.

7. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Your chicks should be fine at the PO with a high of 90! Just so long as they are not left in a closed truck!!! If your PO delivers chicks, or even if you have to wait until afternoon to get them, it's not ideal as the chicks still need food and water, but it could be much worse if it were cold too!

8. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    At my post office the morning delivery comes in at 5:30am. When you contact your post office talk to the postmaster and explain your situation. Find out what time the truck comes in and the clerk that works it. Maybe it will be early enough you can be waiting there and get them home before 7am. If that won't work and you talk real nice I bet he/she will run them out to you at the latest lunch time.

It would not be the best idea to have your carrier bring them with your mail delivery but if that's your only option well you may have to do it. They have lots of mail jostling around in there and it can get pretty rough pulling on and off the road to reach mail boxes. Your chicks don't need that.

Hopes this helps.

9. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    Can you get a cab or take the bus?

10. Yoshii

Quote:Thanks so much, it actually really does! Thanks for that advice!

Can you get a cab or take the bus?

The only bus that runs around here is a fifteen minute drive away (ahh suburbs~), and a cab might be a little financially restrictive.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by