Chicks at 5.5 weeks - gender and verify breed? (Pics)

mtcougar832

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Northwest Montana
I got some chicks on Monday (the 5th) and these three were 5 weeks old at that time (the other 3 I got were 4 weeks old). I am wondering if you can tell the sex of them - esp. since my oldest seems to really like the red ones
wink.png

The red ones are supposed to be Araucana:

Together (don't worry they don't live by the electric socket, but with 3 kids and a broken flash it was the only place to get a decent picture). The have feathering on their legs.
main.php

Darker one - loves to roost, boldest one.
main.php

Lighter one
main.php

This one is supposed to be Dominiker - any idea on gender? The other 3 younger chicks are this breed as well.

main.php

I can only have hens (or chickens that don't crow at all hours - the neighbors will complain) so I hope these are girls.

Sorry about the pictures, but my flash finished dying on my camera
sad.png
Thanks so much for your help this is an awesome site!

They are from a local breeder, but he was older and hard of hearing, so communication with peeping chicks in the room was tough. He got birds from a hatchery last year, and is selling chicks this year (I think). I just want to be honest if one is a rooster and I have to give him away.

Do the first ones have feathers on their feet? They don't look like EE, Ameraucana or Araucana to me. They appear to be cross bred chickens. I guess if they are crossed with an EE, you could call them an EE but even typical EEs don't have feathers on their feet.

Jody

Yes the red ones have feathers on their feet. I'm not to worried about breed, but I hope they (or it, if one is a roo) lays blue-ish / green-ish eggs.

I want to figure out how many pullets and how many roos, since I can make small orders thru my local feed store to get up to my goal of 6 hens.

Back
Top Bottom