Chicks Ate Moldy Food

User4477

Chirping
Jun 24, 2021
Southern California
Hello,
I have 5-week old chicks that are staying in a brooder indoors for now.
I bought a 10-lb bag of Dumor Chick starter last week and have been feeding them from that bag since. However, as I was refilling their feeding container, I just noticed there is tons of blue/green mold growing all over the bottom of the bag and feed at the bottom. I realized there was a hole in the bag of feed that must have been there for a while. I immediately threw it away and went to check the food they've been eating and noticed there's mold on some pieces too. I threw that away as well,
But now I'm very concerned they're going to get sick because they most likely ate the moldy food. They are active right now, not acting sick right now.
I just gave them some Nutra-drench in their water and opened a new bag of feed.

I'm not sure what else to do, I don't want them to get sick, any advice?

I would not worry too much at this point. Chickens can tolerate much that people cant.
Good that you dumped the old bag. Next time you buy a bag of feed. check for holes/breaks,,, and possible areas that could have gotten wet.
I keep my feed in metal garbage cans, for 2 reasons. Stays dry, and stays safe from rodents chewing their way in.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Hello,
I have 5-week old chicks that are staying in a brooder indoors for now.
I bought a 10-lb bag of Dumor Chick starter last week and have been feeding them from that bag since. However, as I was refilling their feeding container, I just noticed there is tons of blue/green mold growing all over the bottom of the bag and feed at the bottom. I realized there was a hole in the bag of feed that must have been there for a while. I immediately threw it away and went to check the food they've been eating and noticed there's mold on some pieces too. I threw that away as well,
But now I'm very concerned they're going to get sick because they most likely ate the moldy food. They are active right now, not acting sick right now.
I just gave them some Nutra-drench in their water and opened a new bag of feed.

I'm not sure what else to do, I don't want them to get sick, any advice?
They will be fine; if you’re really concerned you can keep some activated charcoal on hand, but chickens need to eat a LOT of something toxic ( in most situations ) in order to be poisoned or get botulism.

We immediately move our chick and chicken feed to sealed plastic containers when we get them home from the feed store.

5 gallon buckets with sealing lids make EXCELLENT storage containers that keep the feed more fresh, dry, and help to keep bugs out of it too :)

Back
Top Bottom