Chicks ate rat poison

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AbbysSilkies, Oct 31, 2017.

  1. AbbysSilkies

    AbbysSilkies Chirping

    93
    35
    76
    Jul 31, 2017
    so the other day I went out to the coop and someone had fed my chickens rat poison. I think I know who but I digress. Anyways, I’m guessing that between my 8 chicks, about 1 lethal dose was consumed. The chicks are 8 weeks old. It has been three days and they’re mostly fine except they’ve been really loud, louder than normal. Are they going to be ok? (It was tomcat poison)
     
  2. Wyorp Rock

    Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

    19,121
    19,460
    962
    Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You may want to call poison control or contact your vet.
    https://www.cdc.gov/contact/index.htm

    If it's been 3days and they are acting normal, then they may be o.k. I just don't know enough about poisons to say for sure.

    I'm sorry to hear that someone may have intentionally fed your chicks rat poison. Do you have a way of securing your chickens so "unauthorized persons" don't have access?
    It may be something to consider.
     
    holm25, apryl29 and AbbysSilkies like this.
  3. sumi

    sumi Égalité

    38,101
    15,748
    1,152
    Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Activated charcoal is a great help in cases of accidental poisoning. It absorbs the harmful substances and can be a life saver for animals. I'd suggest getting some into your chicks asap, it's a bit late, but it may still help them. Good luck!
     
  4. Fairview01

    Fairview01 Songster

    530
    757
    166
    Jan 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    I'd invest in a game camera. Get some pics of the culprit and just send them to them in the mail, no note no nothing.

    The most common rat poison on the market remains the anticoagulant type. These types prevent the body from recycling vitamin K necessary for blood clotting. It could take up to 3 days for all the vitamin K to be exhausted so they may just start showing signs now. Massive doses of that vitamin is usually the go to treatment .

    There is another poison that affects the brain function. Supposedly safer for larger mammals in cases of incidental ingestion. Never bought any so don't know about it.
     
    AbbysSilkies likes this.
  5. chickens really

    chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

    A friend of mines Ex fed rat poison to her Birds...It took two days for them to die...He was charged....not sure if charcoal would help?
     
    AbbysSilkies likes this.
  6. AbbysSilkies

    AbbysSilkies Chirping

    93
    35
    76
    Jul 31, 2017
    Thanks, I wish I could keep her out. As soon as I graduate I’m taking my chickens and leaving but until then I can’t do much. Considering they all had a very small dose I’m holing they’ll be ok
     
  7. AbbysSilkies

    AbbysSilkies Chirping

    93
    35
    76
    Jul 31, 2017
    Hoping
     
  8. AbbysSilkies

    AbbysSilkies Chirping

    93
    35
    76
    Jul 31, 2017
    Thanks! Do you know if the size of dosage makes a difference? They didn’t eat very much assuming it wasn’t just one bird
     
  9. apryl29

    apryl29 Free Ranging

    2,343
    12,079
    711
    May 8, 2017
    NE Ohio
    Excellent point. Some states have animal cruelty laws. http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/PDF/AnimalCrueltyLaws.pdf You might consider contacting your pd, esp if there's container that may have finger prints on it. Also, consider getting a security camera/ trail cam and placing it to watch your coop in case the monster comes back and tries to hurt your birds again. Ugh.. people are horrible. I hope your babies make it!
     
  10. chickens really

    chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

    My friends Birds became ill and started dying...She then found the sacks this type of poison comes in...They were tossed into her Run...Her Birds were too far gone....
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: