Chicks attcked by fox

JDB21

Chirping
6 Years
May 16, 2016
Help Inlost 3 of our girls to a fox last week, I have 2 that are recovering, one is not too bad the wound looks clean and she is eating and drinking. My RI red is badly wounded . Her entire back is open to the muscle with a terrible smell, I have cut away dead flesh and started using vetrycin spray. The smell is gone and I have orders Penecillin injection. She has been on an oral abx since the day after it happend. I worry b/c of the size of the wound will she heal ever? Has engine experienced such a large wound? It's from the base of her neck across her entire back between both wings to the base of her tail feathers. Thanks

Help Inlost 3 of our girls to a fox last week, I have 2 that are recovering, one is not too bad the wound looks clean and she is eating and drinking. My RI red is badly wounded . Her entire back is open to the muscle with a terrible smell, I have cut away dead flesh and started using vetrycin spray. The smell is gone and I have orders Penecillin injection. She has been on an oral abx since the day after it happend. I worry b/c of the size of the wound will she heal ever? Has engine experienced such a large wound? It's from the base of her neck across her entire back between both wings to the base of her tail feathers. Thanks

I am sorry about your troubles. you may get more help if you copy and past your post over in a new thread on the forum where folks post on emergencies. Click on Forum and you should see one titled 'emergencies' in the title.. and someone there should be able to help you more than I can. Again sorry about your chickens.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Chickens generally have great recuperative powers as long as they don't go into shock or wounds get badly infected. Keep her away from the others so they do not peck her wounds and make her worse.

Back
Top Bottom