Chicks bandaid toes is getting pecked and bleeding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StephanieD, Mar 18, 2011.

1. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    One of my chicks had a curved toe so I put a bandaid on it it straighten it out. She can walk more normally now! But the other chicks are apparently picking on her toe, it looks like it had a little blood in between the toes. They are with their brooder momma so it's not always easy to get a good look. Anything I can put on the bandaid to make it taste nasty? Any other ideas?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    If there is blood I would put some bluekote on it. The others are attracted to the red.

3. StephanieD

Mar 9, 2011
    I don't have blu-kote! Anything else I could use?

4. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I was told you can use Neosporin. Pretty much anything NOT ending in cain is ok.

5. StephanieD

Mar 9, 2011
    Does it need to be something with color? That's why Blu-kote was suggested?

6. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    The bluekote is blue and covers the red from the blood as well as medicating the injury. My DH accidentally put liquid vitamins on one of mine one time because he thought it was the bluekote and believe it or not it worked. The dark color covered the blood and the others didn't pick at the spot. I don't recommend doing that but it did work.

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Maybe try stopping the bleeding first with a spider web or some corn starch. Then perhaps you might put some vaseline on it. I think the other chicks would not like that texture.
    Later you might want to get some Blu-cote or No pick to have on hand.

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I agree blu-kote Is great. A babie was given to me today 'cause she had a very red bum and needed special care. The others were pecking her mercilessly.I cleaned her up and put blu-kote and walaa it worked. Good to have in your chicken first aid kit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by