Chicks beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pamduff, Nov 18, 2011.

1. pamduff

pamduff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Hi, I have a 6 week old chick I am a little concerned about. She is one of 10 we have and I noticed today that the top part of her beak seems to be longer than the bottom. So far she is the only one that is showing this. I am new to all this so I am not sure if I should be concerned. She recently started picking on the other chicks, pulling feathers and just generally bullying. Now I am wondering if she is having problems eating and maybe that is why she started this behavior. She is isolated from the other chicks...has been for a week now and I cannot tell but she seems to be eating but I am going by the level of food in the dish...which I know can be deceiving. I am going to try and post a picture. It is not the best because I am trying to hold her and take the pic at the same time LOL. Thank you for any feedback!
    Ok not having much luck adding a picture. I will try again after I post this. Thanks
    [​IMG]

wow...did not realize it would come through so big LOL

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    It looks fine just a bit long thats all no big deal she should grow into it

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    The length of the beak ought not concern you and it's difficult to tell from the photo, but does the top beak cross over the bottom beak to the right (versus being straight over the bottom?). It appears she may have a 'crossed beak' or 'scissor beak,' which isn't cause for concern in and of itself, but some chickens with crossed beaks have trouble eating and drinking. Most do just fine with it but some may need help.

4. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:Thank you.

5. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:No the beak is straight over the bottom. I appreciate your help. Have been reading some posts about providing chickens with something they can take care of this with. I know my older chickens rub their beaks on the wood in the coop but the chicks don't really have anything to do this on. Especially this little one. She is in a Rubbermaid tote while in the house instead of in the wood brooder with the rest. Hopefully they will be in their outside home tomorrow.
    Is it common to provide something for them to scrape their beaks on?

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Looks normal to me, as long as it isn't crooked I wouldn't worry. Mine wear their own down they have a couple of cinder blocks out in the pen that they rub on every now and again. [​IMG]

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:No the beak is straight over the bottom. I appreciate your help. Have been reading some posts about providing chickens with something they can take care of this with. I know my older chickens rub their beaks on the wood in the coop but the chicks don't really have anything to do this on. Especially this little one. She is in a Rubbermaid tote while in the house instead of in the wood brooder with the rest. Hopefully they will be in their outside home tomorrow.
    Is it common to provide something for them to scrape their beaks on?

Free-ranging chickens will use rocks and other hard-surfaced items to maintain their beaks. If yours don't free-range, it's a good idea to provide a brick, cinder block or the like for their use. I have never found it necessary to put anything in the brooder with the chicks though.

Don't worry about the beak length of this chick, it's not a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by