Chicks beaks off-set?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by auxanofarms, Mar 22, 2011.

1. auxanofarms

auxanofarms New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    This is our 3rd season of raising chickens, and due to some irresponsible neighbors and their dogs, this is our third year of buying chicks. We get 25-30 at a time, and this is the first time I've dealt with this, but 3 chicks within a month makes me wonder.
    We had 2 chicks from one batch and 1 chick from another batch (all different breeds) develop an off-set lower jaw. What is causing this? One was really bad, almost a 90 degree angle, it couldn't eat so we killed it. Now we have 2 more that have it. Is it something with the feed? The environment?
    We have a farm, so babying chickens isn't high on my priority list, but I'm just wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong that's causing the problem, I want to know! I've tried googling the issue, but googling anything with the word "chick" in it doesn't work out so well.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had, and currently have a few chickens with this problem. I've heard it's genetic and can confirm that some of the chicks in a certain bloodline with have cross beaks although others will not.

I have also read that it can be related to a vitamin deficiency, some particular salt. I can't remember exactly though. Try searching cross beak here on BYC, you should be safe with that, although you may have a lot of info to wade through. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by