chicks before feb?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sc00ter4900, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Hi Is it possible to buy chicks before Feb.? I would like to get mine early [​IMG] Thanks Scotty

2. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Hey Scott! As far as I know you can't get chicks delivered until the spring. You could hatch them yourself or perhaps someone local would be able to hatch eggs for you?

3. Sc00ter4900

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Wow its nice to know some one here is close. I dont know too many people in my area that have chickens. As long as the neibors dont complain its ok. Im making a bigger coop so I can Get more chicks . Just want them sooner than later LOL. Its a guy thing always want more LOL. My wife thought I was nuts wanting chickens but she likes the fresh eggs now [​IMG] Do you have a big coop? Thanks Scotty

4. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    you can order chicks from ideal ( i think) but choices are limited

5. cococrisp

cococrisp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    I think they are available at Murray Mcmurray. At least it didn't say it WASN'T available. I know that there is a thread with online hatcheries. There will be one out there that does sell them now though. I know because my friend just ordered some last week.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My local feedstore gets chicks from Ideal in January, but that's a bit unusual.

7. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I got EE's from Ideal in Dec last year and they still had some when I checked last week. I bought eggs from a local fellow and those are in the bator right now. Happy hunting- I hope you find what you want![​IMG]

8. Sc00ter4900

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I tried ideal.com and its not a chicken site. Do you have a web address for that place? Thanks Scotty

9. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Ideal's site is www.ideal-poultry.com

We have two coops - one is 6 x 8 and the other is 8 x 10. We started with 40 straight run day-old bantams and ended up with 19. One went broody so we gave her 4 silkie eggs and all hatched, so we now have 23 bantams. Then we hatched some standard chicks and have 13 of those after re-homing the roosters. This chicken stuff is really addicting...especially when you start hatching and having chicks around!!! What part of Mass are you in? There are a lot of great people in this area that are on this site. [​IMG]

10. Sc00ter4900

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Im in Taunton . North end so a lot of woods [​IMG] I have 3 RI Reds and 3 plymouth rocks. I want 12 more but would like to mix the breed up a bit. My wife puts up with the addiction. She wasnt to happy about the chickens at first. Her dinning room was used for the chicks LOL. She loves the eggs though. I needed a hobie so my ladies are it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by