Chicks being introduced to chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HayHays97, Aug 11, 2011.

1. HayHays97

HayHays97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Hey guys, I was just wondering when chicks should be put out with other chickens, I have two, nine week old chicks, and they are still living inside because I also Have 3 chickens all 3 years plus. The chicks are getting very ressless being cooped up inside and my mum wants then to go outside, but they are still tiny and I know they will get picked on really bad. What age do you guys think they should go outside? I was thinking about 16 weeks. They are being slowly introduced to the other chickens, we put them in their run and put it out on the grass so they are separated so they can't hurt eachother. But yeah, what age do you think I should put them out?
    Thanks guys [​IMG]

2. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I am no expert but my guys are about 6 weeks and they went out into the coop a few days ago, with the big guys. I placed a small cage inside the coop so the big ones could see them, but not hurt them. The older ones were aggressive here and there, but mostly wanted whatever the little girls were eating! After about 4 days, I let the little ones out, towards evening. People say to do that at night, in the dark. I didn't have the time to wait, so I hoped for the best. [​IMG] The older ones pecked at them if they tried to snuggle up under a wing or something, but were MOSTLY ok. It's tough to see the little ones scared, but they banded together, and figured out their place in the coop. [​IMG] Today they are getting on really well!! One of my roos was kind of snuggling with them, and keeps them safe now. What I did worked really well for my crew. But I have mostly laid back hens, with 2 really good roos. Try it but just make sure you have the time to "rescue" them if need be. Don't drop them out there and head off for the day, you may not like what you find later. Good luck!!

3. HayHays97

HayHays97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Thank you for your help, one of the older chickens is really bossy and when we got a third chicken she was already two and the new chicken got picked on for months, so thats the only thing I'm worried about. We had the chicks in their pen out side and the bossy chicken came straight over and started pecking at the house, one of the chicks got pecked but not badly, the chicks learnt quickly that she was the boss and tried to stand up to her but still got pecked, so I'm very hesitant about putting them out side.

What your roo did sounded adorable [​IMG] as much as I love my chickens I do wish they were as laided back as yours sound [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by