Chicks being shipped from hatchery....question

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
What are your opinions on shipments of chicks coming in late July? Is it too hot for them at that time of year?

I am still debating whether I am ordering from McMurray or MPC...but I am in Oregon so it will be a long trip for them either way. MMH is closer of course which is why I am leaning towards ordering from them and they have my partridge cochin pullets...but MPC has the Blue Cochin pullets that I want.
hmm.png

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

Last edited:
Well, since the little chickies need about 95F for the first week of their lives, being shipped in "hot" weather might not be as bad as being shipped in freezing weather. Many wait till later to ship birds for this reason, because they do have to sit in boxes overnight when it can be cold.

Thanks for that link....
big_smile.png
but their selection of breeds is not what I am looking for aside from the heavys.

Silkiechicken...that is what I was thinking.

Last edited:
Yes I do know that....I have 6 now that are 7 weeks old. They will be getting light supplementing (25 - 40 watt bulb) in the coop until around 11 pm each night...then they will have their red heat lamp bulb
lol.png

I want to keep their coop around 50 - 60 degrees inside during the winter.

Last edited:
Sounds cozy
smile.png
I live up near Hood River and I never heat the coop or augment light. They all do fine right thru the snowy winter days and everything, but most stop laying. The Buff Orpingtons keep going, though! good chooks
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom