1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks being shipped one at a time... aggh!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by derbychick, Apr 30, 2007.

1. derbychick

derbychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Charlestown, IN
    We ordered 4 chicks (all different breeds) from a feed store that was ordering them from a hatchery in Cincinnati. They were supposed to be in a month ago, and the whole process has been a nightmare for the feed store. Our Partridge Rock arrived a week and a half ago, and we decided to wait until the others arrived to go pick them up all at the same time. At last, two others arrived today, and the 4th has yet to make it. Will it be okay to put these first three together (one a week and a half older than the others), then add the last tiny baby to the mix (this week, or so they say). I know the age difference won't be too great, just want to make sure we're not setting ourselves up for pecking wars!

Thanks! This board has been of great help to us in this (unbelievably long) process [​IMG]

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Golly, how maddening! I would guess it would be OK to put them together and just watch them to see how they get along. It probably should'nt be too much trouble, but I defer to the more experienced on this board.
    Good luck with you new peeps! [​IMG]

3. derbychick

derbychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Charlestown, IN
    Thanks, mudhen. We'll keep a close eye on them.

My only other gripe is that instead of the Black Australorp, they sent a Black Giant instead. My family had a lovely Black Australorp hen when I was growing up so that was my reason for ordering one. But, I'll take the Black Giant and love it just the same [​IMG]

We really are excited and the whole family is heading out to the feed store as soon as my DH gets home from work!! And on another positive note, we'll barely have to heat up the living room brooder... it's almost 90 degrees in here right now!!! (April is just way too early to turn on the A/C) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by