Chicks bleeding from pecking

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
We have 16 four week old chicks in a large coop with a large run. This morning I noticed that the others have started pecking two of the buff polish on the head and back and they are bleeding pretty bad. I separated the two polish chicks in a small dog crate and am keeping it in the run covered in a towel with water and food. Weirdly enough, the chicks are mobbing the dog crate, trying to get in. Is there anything else I should do be doing to keep the chicks safe and when can I reintegrate them? Also, what can I do to get the other chicks from pecking them? They have plenty of water with electrolytes, food, and snacks (I've been giving them minced blueberries, strawberries and Brussels sprouts).

I don't know if this has any bearing on the behavior, but we got these chicks through the mail from McMurray's (first order).

Thanks for your time and any help you can give me! I've been raising chickens for seven years and have never had cannibals :0

Attachments

• IMG_5586.jpeg
    IMG_5586.jpeg
    733.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5587.jpeg
    IMG_5587.jpeg
    635.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5591.jpeg
    IMG_5591.jpeg
    773.3 KB · Views: 20
Hi Chickenhappy8708: Thanks for your reply! The other chicks are: two Phoenix, three Black Stars, two very lethargic/aloof Egyptian Fayoumis, two Crevecoeurs, two EEs/Amercaunas, a buff Minorca, another Polish (who was in on the pecking), and a RIR.

What should I clean the wounds with? Just regular unscented soap? Should I put anything on the wounds? Thank you!

Is flush with peroxide, then rinse, only do that once though, then add a healing salve, such as Green goo, nothing with chicken toxic plants though, and depending on weather the polishes are pecking each other, add blue food dye. The RIR is most likely doing most of the damage. But, you can try reintroductions once they heal up.

Others have said they successfully raised Polish in their flock. However, it's also been said other breeds will peck at the Polish head feather as it's "up there and interesting". I have friend that "gave up" and rehomed all her Polish chicks as they were pecked bald. Feathers do grow back when she separated the Polish but when added back to the flock, pecking started again and she didn't have the space for a separate coop.

Keep the wounds clean and it'll heal, feathers will grow back.

Is flush with peroxide, then rinse, only do that once though, then add a healing salve, such as Green goo, nothing with chicken toxic plants though, and depending on weather the polishes are pecking each other, add blue food dye. The RIR is most likely doing most of the damage. But, you can try reintroductions once they heal up.

Thank you! I've got them separated and at least the two Polish are together so they aren't lonely and they're still in the coop, although can't be pecked by the others. I might get Blu Kote, as well, but that stuff is so messy. I really appreciate your responses since this hasn't happened to me before.

Others have said they successfully raised Polish in their flock. However, it's also been said other breeds will peck at the Polish head feather as it's "up there and interesting". I have friend that "gave up" and rehomed all her Polish chicks as they were pecked bald. Feathers do grow back when she separated the Polish but when added back to the flock, pecking started again and she didn't have the space for a separate coop.

Keep the wounds clean and it'll heal, feathers will grow back.

@ChickNanny13 : Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! My daughter really wanted Polish chickens, but if they keep getting pecked (and two of ours are bleeding they were pecked so bad just in a few hours this morning), they will need to be rehomed. They are a popular breed, so I hope it will be fairly easy to find someone to take them.

Back
Top Bottom