Chick's Bloody Poop!

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I posted a while back about this for another chick we lost but for some reason I can't find it.
One of our 4 chicks(I'm not sure who) has bloody poop and it only happened today.
When I woke up and changed their water, I put chick booster in and noticed the bloody poop when I was changing their bedding.

What else do I give them to help?

These chicks will be 5 weeks old this Saturday.
They don't eat medicated chick starter as we stopped buying that. They eat the Bar Ale brand.

I posted a while back about this for another chick we lost but for some reason I can't find it.
One of our 4 chicks(I'm not sure who) has bloody poop and it only happened today.
When I woke up and changed their water, I put chick booster in and noticed the bloody poop when I was changing their bedding.

What else do I give them to help?

These chicks will be 5 weeks old this Saturday.
They don't eat medicated chick starter as we stopped buying that. They eat the Bar Ale brand.
Is there some reason you stopped the medicated starter food?
I would say treat them all for coccidiosis with Corid as soon as possible.

Is there some reason you stopped the medicated starter food?
I would say treat them all for coccidiosis with Corid as soon as possible.
We stopped because once the chicks were able to be put outside in the chick coop next to the older hens' coop, sometimes I would forget which feed I had with me and end up feeding the hens the medicated chick starter so we stopped buying it. We don't hate it but I'd rather just feed the chicks the same feed type as the older hens but the chick one.

Here is the dosing for Corid, you can use the powder or the liquid, use the severe outbreak dosing. Treat them all.
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg
Any that you know have bloody droppings or are acting off at all give an oral dose in addition to the medicated water. Dosing for that:
Corid 9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

Corid 20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

We stopped because once the chicks were able to be put outside in the chick coop next to the older hens' coop, sometimes I would forget which feed I had with me and end up feeding the hens the medicated chick starter so we stopped buying it. We don't hate it but I'd rather just feed the chicks the same feed type as the older hens but the chick one.
I don’t know how you kept the chicks before you let them outside and it doesn’t really matter. In order for medicated starter food to work, the chicks need to be exposed to the type of coccidiosis you have in the ground.
If say the chicks were in a brooder of some sort then they didn’t build up any resistance to the disease because they didn’t encounter it in the coop.
I would treat the chicks with Corrid now.

I don’t know how you kept the chicks before you let them outside and it doesn’t really matter. In order for medicated starter food to work, the chicks need to be exposed to the type of coccidiosis you have in the ground.
If say the chicks were in a brooder of some sort then they didn’t build up any resistance to the disease because they didn’t encounter it in the coop.
I would treat the chicks with Corrid now.
My dad is picking it up.
And the chicks have been in a big enough cage since they were 2-3 days old(When we bought them). Right now they can't go outside until they're bigger so I know they won't die outside.

Back
Top Bottom