Chicks bonding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by comp6512, Oct 6, 2009.

1. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Today was the first day when I removed the foot tall cardboard separating the chicks from the world. It was hot (Central FL) and I thought chicks needed some air.

My cocker spaniel Lucy was circling the brooder from day one, but today was the first time she came this close with chicks.

The minute I removed the cardboard, Lucy came up and chicks came running towards her like there was no tomorrow. They were trying to get through the wire, piling on top of each other, to get closer to the dog.
    Well, she is about the right color and about the right size; sitting there, breathing warm air on the chicks = they could not get enough of it.

It was cute, but it was also sad..... Chicks need a Mama.

[​IMG]

2. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    OMG, what an adorable picture... and yes, chicks need a mama. Does Lucy want to be a chick mama?

Jenny

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Oh that is the cutest...[​IMG]

4. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Jury is still out on what Lucy wants. But she is a very protective dog, so I'm hoping she will have a good relationship with chicks, when they get bigger though.

5. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Awwww [​IMG], they love Lucy. That is too cute, but you're right it is sad. Chickies need a mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by