Chicks breathing - I hope just a silly question....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leight54, May 18, 2011.

1. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's my silly question: Should you be able to see your chicks breathing when they roost?

My 2 chicks are almost 3 weeks old. When they "roost" on the the piece of firewood I have in their brooder, and scrunch down, I can see their little bodies moving up and down with their breath. Is this normal???

Otherwise, they seem perfectly happy and normal. Very active, eating/drinking/pooping, working on flying, etc. Please tell me I'm just looking for things to worry about. [​IMG]

2. steve&kris

steve&kris Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I always could with mine. Mine are 6-7 weeks and I can still see them moving. Not an open mouthed gasping, just breathing. I think it's normal, but a few weeks ago I was wondering the same thing.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would say as long as you don't hear any strange sounds while they're breathing, its perfectly normal. I love to watch my peepers sleep, they look so peaceful. At 3 weeks old they still sleep deeply, and yes- I can see them breathing [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it's normal - as long as their mouth isn't open and they are panting, then they would be too hot.

5. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks everyone! You've put my mind at ease. [​IMG]

I love BYC, I feel like I'm not alone in my chickie adventure!

6. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    Quote:I would worry if I couldn't see breathing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by