chicks brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Patrick 14, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Patrick 14

Patrick 14 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    north alabama
    Is it ok to have a plastic tub as a brooder with heat lamp over hanging? If not any ideas. For 20 chicks inside spare room temp around 70 degrees

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

In a room that warm, a heat lamp may cook your chicks, not to mention maybe burn down your house...those things get HOT. I'd try a regular 60 or 75 watt bulb hanging over your tub and even be careful of it getting too hot with that..a plastic tub doesn't have much good airflow so watch your chicks. If they are trying to avoid your light, raise it up a bit. If they are piling up and trying to shove to the middle of the pile, lower it down a bit. Try keeping the light on the end of the brooder away from the feed and water so they will have a cool end and a warm end to the brooder but won't be trying to sleep where they drink and eat.

Unless it's a mighty big plastic tub, that many chicks will outgrow the space pretty quickly...do you have room for expansion or do you live in warm climates and will be moving them outdoors?

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    [​IMG]

That will work for a while, but they grow quick and you may want to build or get additional tubs. Put paper down so they don't slip on the plastic floor. Add your thermometer to keep it close to 95 when you get the chicks and then raise the light to lower the temps 5 degrees per week. in four weeks with a room temp of 70, you won't need the heat lamp. One I built that is 8' long and use for up to 30 day old chicks to feather out.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. Patrick 14

Patrick 14 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    north alabama
    I had plans on moving them out to coop at 4-5 weeks if room at 70-75 can I not use heat lamp? Not really in favor of use one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by