Chicks bullying one chick

Dr Evy

Bird Nerd
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2021
Minnesota
Hi. So I hatched baby chicks two weeks ago tomorrow. Two of them hatched with sprayed leg so I separated them and braced their legs right away. But now I have a problem. My chick is bonded to her brother the one who was with her while their legs were healing, but he got a slipped tendon along with one of the other chicks so they are now quarantined. She was with them at first, but she made them too rowdy (they are supposed to be staying suspended in their socks) she made them keep getting out of the socks so I took her out. I tried to put her with the other chicks but they will just not accept her. They are so aggressive and mean with her and there’s four of them. So she got over the bond with her brother quickly and now she’s extremely bonded to me. Like I can’t leave the room without her peeping as loud as she can and jumping out of her box. I solved the jumping out of the box problem but I don’t know what to do about her. I mean I love that she’s bonded to me but I can’t be with her 24/7. I could bring her around the house with me but I shouldn’t do that because she needs her heat lamp right? I’m gonna try putting a stuffed animal chicken with her after this, but I really do want her to be with the other chicks. Does anybody have any suggestions of what I should do about the aggressive chicks? They’re much bigger than her (not sure why) so she gets pushed around very easily. I also thought maybe they bully her because she’s the only yellow chick, but I didn’t think chickens were like that. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated :)
image.jpg
Here’s her, she’s very scared of her new “friend” 😂

You can carry her around with you. Your body heat will keep her warm. When I had a lone chick I would take her to store with me in a fanny pack. Just put some tissues in the bottom for softness. I used the fanny pack at home also, when she wanted up on me and I was able to keep my hands free to be able to get things done. She was always so quiet in the fanny pack.

Otherwise, she was out and I kept food and water out just like any other pet.

At night I trained her from the first night to sleep in an area by herself. I put a cover over the top of the enclosure partially so she would feel secure, and in the morning I would get her up and out of her nighttime enclosure.

As she grew older, she was able to go outside with the older chickens for periods of time. I had an area that she could escape to. She grew up okay and was able to integrate into the flock.

Hopefully, explaining my experience with a lone chick helps.

Also, chicks don't always have to be under a heat source. When a mother hen has her chicks they follow her around and it's not always 90+ degrees outside. They go under their mom when they need to warm up.

You can carry her around with you. Your body heat will keep her warm. When I had a lone chick I would take her to store with me in a fanny pack. Just put some tissues in the bottom for softness. I used the fanny pack at home also, when she wanted up on me and I was able to keep my hands free to be able to get things done. She was always so quiet in the fanny pack.

Otherwise, she was out and I kept food and water out just like any other pet.

At night I trained her from the first night to sleep in an area by herself. I put a cover over the top of the enclosure partially so she would feel secure, and in the morning I would get her up and out of her nighttime enclosure.

As she grew older, she was able to go outside with the older chickens for periods of time. I had an area that she could escape to. She grew up okay and was able to integrate into the flock.

Hopefully, explaining my experience with a lone chick helps.

Also, chicks don't always have to be under a heat source. When a mother hen has her chicks they follow her around and it's not always 90+ degrees outside. They go under their mom when they need to warm up.
Thankfully, I got the other chicks to accept her! But now I do have one that goes almost everywhere with me. And I’m moving it down to 75 degrees this weekend so he’ll probably be warm enough. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom