1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks burying themselves...?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zach56, Mar 24, 2016.

1. zach56

zach56 New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    Being new to the chicken world, the behavior of them make me kinda wonder what is going on. The most recent behavior that is baffling us is have saw dust in their pen right now, just freshened today. Now two of the three chicks will actually burrow in flap their wings and kick saw dust everywhere. Then the others will come along and peck at the one doing it. We were just curious on what this all meant. Any help would be great thanks guys!

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    Just dust-bathing! It's a totally normal process, chickens of all ages indulge in it. It helps keep their feathers clean, and when a chicken dust-bathes, they're pretty much in heaven. It's also a highly social activity for the whole flock.

3. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicks/chickens are amazing little creatures and you will see their instinct behavior pretty much from day one!

This is the chicks reaction to fresh bedding [​IMG]HOORAY! Let's take a dust bath! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  4. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    You don't say how old your chicks are, but it sounds like they are trying to take a dust bath. Look up dust batheing in the search for an explanation. This is perfectly normal behavior.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  5. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    They are dust bathing!! It's a very normal behavior and is very exciting to see. Hope this helped!!

6. zach56

zach56 New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    Thank you everyone for the comments, we had. I idea what was going on, like we said were new to this and wasn't quite sure, our chicks are two weeks old and I tell you what it's a lot of fun doing this so far can't wait to build their real chicken coop.

7. JaysGirl

JaysGirl Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Small town NC
    I was wondering if saw dust was ok for their dust bath? Mine are 2 was old and starting that behavior too. I've read some say it isn't good for them. How are your chicks doing with it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by